"Cannot Verify Server Identity" - could "Continue" on Mac and iPad but not iPhone 7

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2014 Mac Mini (Base Model, High Sierra); iPad 2018 (Latest iOS); iPhone 7 (Latest iOS)
"Cannot Verify Server Identity" - could "Continue" on Mac and iPad but not iPhone 7

As it says, got this error yesterday from one of the university email address where I work. On both my Mac and iPad, when this happened in Mail, it gave this message with a "Cancel" or "Continue" option, so i could just say continue and get my university emails.

However, on iPhone Mail, it says the message above, but only has "Details" and "Cancel" as the options. "Details just does that - gives details, tells me the certificate is not trusted, and gives a button for "More Details", which says a whole bunch of stuff, but no other choices to make.

Also, after trying three times to confirm the address I guess, I get a message that "Unable to verify SSL server imap.***.***" Then it tells me to confirm my settings and that the thing does SSL, which of course it does.

So, what can I do? I can still check on my Mac and iPad, but obviously, I'd like to be able to check my university emails on my iPhone as well. Thoughts? Other than wipe out the account and recreate it on the iPhone (which maybe I will do if I don't get any other ideas).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
What version of iOS is running on the iPad? And what version OS X on the Mac? Since the iPhone is a 7, it obviously has to be iOS 10. If the others are not up-to-date, then it may be a problem specific to iOS 10. Also, are you on wi-fi with the iPhone, or just using cellular data service? Make sure you try it on wi-fi if you haven't. You should also check your Mail settings on the iPhone to make sure they are set identical to what you have on the iPad.

Just to be clear... you are using the Mail app on all these devices, and not a web browser?

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2014 Mac Mini (Base Model, High Sierra); iPad 2018 (Latest iOS); iPhone 7 (Latest iOS)
What version of iOS is running on the iPad? And what version OS X on the Mac? Since the iPhone is a 7, it obviously has to be iOS 10. If the others are not up-to-date, then it may be a problem specific to iOS 10. Also, are you on wi-fi with the iPhone, or just using cellular data service? Make sure you try it on wi-fi if you haven't. You should also check your Mail settings on the iPhone to make sure they are set identical to what you have on the iPad.

Just to be clear... you are using the Mail app on all these devices, and not a web browser?

Hmm...thought that was visible (I have specs under my user info on the left panel). Anyway, everything is latest possible. Mac is running Sierra latest, iPad Air is running latest 10, same for iPhone. And yes, I'm using only the Mail app for this email address which is having the problems.

P.S. - just tried turning on and off SSL in the Advanced settings and...it worked? So far. Strange.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Hmm...thought that was visible (I have specs under my user info on the left panel).

Ooops... my bad.

Anyway, everything is latest possible. Mac is running Sierra latest, iPad Air is running latest 10, same for iPhone. And yes, I'm using only the Mail app for this email address which is having the problems.

P.S. - just tried turning on and off SSL in the Advanced settings and...it worked? So far. Strange.

Glad that worked, Easier than what would have been the next suggestion, which would have been to delete all the settings and start over from scratch.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad that worked, Easier than what would have been the next suggestion, which would have been to delete all the settings and start over from scratch.

Yeah, that is what I wanted to avoid. In this case, very simple "fix", though I don't know why it worked.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.