FACEBOOK Problem on MacBook Pro (Search Bar)

Reaction score
All of a sudden and for no apparent reason I have lost the bar to search for other users, groups and anything else you might use it for. I am at a loss and can't even figure out the approprite app to use from the app store much less how to uninstall FB. Can't find it in Finder with the exception of 5 "export" boxes which look like cartons. I dragged them to trash but didn't empty the trash just in case. I think the FB icons are somehow hiding. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I am fairly computer literate but this is beyond the scope of my abilities.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hello Miser and welcome to the forum! :) However, your first post here is utterly confusing - first, put in the 'Switcher Hangout' where the attention deserved may not be received; and second, you've provided no useful information on how you are using Facebook (FB), i.e. I'm assuming on a MBPro (and not using an iOS app on an iPad?) - please provide the macOS installed and whether you are using FB via a browser - answers to these questions will help greatly.

On my MBPro (on Sierra), I access FB via the Safari browser in a tab (see screenshot below) - is this 'how' you use FB on your laptop? If so, are you talking about the 'Search Bar' in the left upper corner stating 'Find friends'? I'll stop at this point to let you better clarify your post and respond - Dave
Screen Shot 2017-01-01 at 6.42.54 PM.png

OP
M
Reaction score
Dave thanks for a prompt reply.I used "switcher hangout" because of this post "Start a thread in the Switcher Hangout to ask beginner questions". Actually I am using the exact FB version you SS'd above.I am on Sierra 10.12.2 and usig Safari.Everything was fine until 2 days ago when "find friends bar" disappeared between the FB icon and my name and profile pic. I can get a screen shot but in PNG format only, not JPEG.
I hope I haven't confused things further.

I await your reply and FYI Phyllis seems like a good cook!
Michel

OP
M
Reaction score
Dave,
Problem fixed. I was running adblock ultimate under Safari so I turned it off, rebooted and all is now well. Thanks for your willingness to help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dave thanks for a prompt reply.I used "switcher hangout" because of this post "Start a thread in the Switcher Hangout to ask beginner questions". Actually I am using the exact FB version you SS'd above.I am on Sierra 10.12.2 and usig Safari.Everything was fine until 2 days ago when "find friends bar" disappeared between the FB icon and my name and profile pic. I can get a screen shot but in PNG format only, not JPEG.
I hope I haven't confused things further.

I await your reply and FYI Phyllis seems like a good cook!
Michel

Hi Michel - for starters, I would suggest that you first 'Force Close' Safari (see first image below - open the Apple in the top left menu option), then select the options shown - next, go to Titanium Software and download OnyX specifically for Sierra (important!) - run the app in 'Automation Mode' - because of Apple's Gatekeeper prohibiting opening this app, just right-click and open - after the app is done (will require a reboot of your computer), then reopen Safari and the Facebook app - let us know if this solves your issues - Dave :)
Screen Shot 2017-01-01 at 9.01.12 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-01-01 at 9.01.45 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dave,
Problem fixed. I was running adblock ultimate under Safari so I turned it off, rebooted and all is now well. Thanks for your willingness to help.

OK Michel - I was composing a follow-up post as yours was added - appears that you have solved your own issue - congrats! But, many of us here use OnyX, so still may be a useful 'free' download for you. :) Dave

P.S. in my pic, the post was made by a friend, i.e. Phyllis, but the pic of the meatballs was being made by our Unitarian minister - AND, I agree that the end result is likely quite tasty!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.