Mac Mini doesn't work with external drive

Reaction score
I have a Mac Mini 10.9.5 and had been able to play my DVD movies with the external disc drive. Then one day a message popped up - USB drive not supported on this Mac. The DVD is now stuck in the external drive and can't get it out. Help please...Sheila

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
What have you done between the last time it all worked and now??

What DVD player model is it??

Have you tried:
- power cycling the DVD player
- Restart the mini but hold down your mouse button when you hear the boot sound and it may pop the disk out.

- Patrick
==========

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Any chance you have disconnected the USB drive withoutjecting it first? With the xternal connected, what does Disk Utility have to say/ KS it seen on your Desktop?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Also, what model and year Mac mini are you using?

OP
I
Reaction score
Hi Group, thanks for your fast replies. I got lucky: There are three slots on the mini where I can connect the very short cable of the DVD player.. I tried the first one and it didn't work. When I tried the next one the DVD started. The Mini is a "late 2012", but it isn't much ore than 2 years old. OTOH I could have forgotten to eject the drive, as my brain is getting old. : ). I mostly only do email, write, or watch movies. Thanks again! Sheila

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.