shut off narration

Reaction score
Okay so this has been kinda driving me nuts...

The narration seems to be active, but only during the log in screen and I can't for the life of me figure out how to turn it off...

I've tried unchecking voice over box in accessibility, and disabled the toggles. but for some reason it still narrates on the login screen. I am currently running Mac Osx Sierra 10.12.2.

Any ideas on how to disable?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

Open System Preferences and take a look at these items:

Accessibility, Speech. Make sure the "enable announcements" box has not been selected.
" " " " " "speak selected text....." " " " " "

Accessibility, Descriptions. Make sure the "play audio descriptions......" box has not been selected.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
It's because user preferences are not applied before login. ie. before you login the computer does not know whose user preferences to apply so it uses default system settings. These settings are established during the initial user configuration with the Setup Wizard when the computer was brand new. So short of doing a clean instal of your Operating System I think you may be stuck with this.

OP
E
Reaction score
Welcome to our forums.

Open System Preferences and take a look at these items:

Accessibility, Speech. Make sure the "enable announcements" box has not been selected.
" " " " " "speak selected text....." " " " " "

Accessibility, Descriptions. Make sure the "play audio descriptions......" box has not been selected.

checked all points, and all are as you say. but thanks for trying

It's because user preferences are not applied before login. ie. before you login the computer does not know whose user preferences to apply so it uses default system settings. These settings are established during the initial user configuration with the Setup Wizard when the computer was brand new. So short of doing a clean instal of your Operating System I think you may be stuck with this.

if its comes to this, that will suck... but thanks for the info

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

I can't believe that to be true. Otherwise users would have no choice but to reinstall to change settings like time and location - even if the wrong ones were selected upon initial setup. Or language either.....

@eclipse2025:

Try this: Bypass your log on screen by going into System Preferences, Security & Privacy and remove your log on password. (Note... if you're using FileVault, you can not remove the log on password.) Then reboot to see if you still get the narration. You should immediately boot to your desktop. Do this as a test; you can restore the password and any security later.

If the narration is gone, reset your NVRAM and then reinstate your password or any security you were using.

OP
E
Reaction score
I can't believe that to be true. Otherwise users would have no choice but to reinstall to change settings like time and location - even if the wrong ones were selected upon initial setup. Or language either.....

@eclipse2025:

Try this: Bypass your log on screen by going into System Preferences, Security & Privacy and remove your log on password. (Note... if you're using FileVault, you can not remove the log on password.) Then reboot to see if you still get the narration. You should immediately boot to your desktop. Do this as a test; you can restore the password and any security later.

If the narration is gone, reset your NVRAM and then reinstate your password or any security you were using.

well that was a bust, removed login password, went straight to desktop, manually logged out to test if no narration (still present), cleared nvram (twice), replaced password, almost got locked out becuase even though the password box was selected it wouldn't accept typing (had to tab to reach it).

(just to clarify the narration ONLY appears on the login screen, nowhere else)
Edit: Also now every time I login I have to tab out of and to the password field in order to be able to type anything...

Last edited:
M

MacInWin

I'd call Apple about it, then. Given that it started with 10.12.2, even if your Mac is out of AppleCare, you should be able to open a ticket for Sierra and get support.

OP
E
Reaction score
I'd call Apple about it, then. Given that it started with 10.12.2, even if your Mac is out of AppleCare, you should be able to open a ticket for Sierra and get support.

It didn't start with this version its pretty much always been there... (and i think i bought a care plan when i got it but thanks for the advice)

OP
E
Reaction score
so finally solved thanks to apple support.
to disable:
users and groups
authenticate
login options
uncheck use voiceover in the login window

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
@eclipse2025 Thanks for letting us know the solution. That was driving me nuts. I figured it had to be something with Voiceover but couldn't work out how it could be triggering that early in the process.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, that's one to remember. But... I wonder how it got selected in the first place? Other than member eclipse, I can't remember anyone ever reporting voiceover on login.

OP
E
Reaction score
Yeah, that's one to remember. But... I wonder how it got selected in the first place? Other than member eclipse, I can't remember anyone ever reporting voiceover on login.

i think i might have been going through options when i first got it, and just started turning stuff on at random and then forgetting it was on when i reset. then when it starts doing it when i restart i cant remember how to turn off... so i just tolerate it for a while and ask later on

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
As I thought, it was switched on during initial setup and takes effect once your user name is selected. I'm glad to learn that it can be switched off in login prefs. All valuable info for the personal data base.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I meant to put this in the tip notes for this weeks Sunday chat. It completely slipped my mind.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.