Are there any widgets for tuning guitars?

Reaction score
Do any widgets exist for guitar tuning? I'd rather do that than install an app. That said, I didn't find anything.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If you're going to use a guitar tuner on your computer instead of getting a tuner you can throw in the case and carry with, I'd probably use this one.

Not many are making widgets for the Dashboard any longer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Mid-2012 / iMac Retina 5K Late-2014
Personally, I'd think it makes a ton more sense to go this route: http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/10_Clip-On_Guitar_Tuners_You_Should_Use

I have a Boss TU-2 that I use with my guitars because it plugs in inline with the guitars and allow me to mute the sound through the amp while doing a quick check / adjust between songs. Super simple and easy, and it's always connected while I'm playing. If I'm just tinkering around the house with the acoustic, I check to be sure it's in tune with itself and go from there (it stays pretty close to tuned all of the time once the strings are worn in a little).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Do any widgets exist for guitar tuning? I'd rather do that than install an app. That said, I didn't find anything.

Even better than any widget and no computer or batteries even needed and easily portable!!

HOW TO TUNE A GUITAR USING A TUNING FORK.
http://www.dummies.com/art-center/music/guitar/how-to-tune-a-guitar-using-a-tuning-fork/

Tuning a Guitar using a Tuning Fork and Open-String Harmonics
http://www.firstguitarlessons.com/tuning-a-guitar.html

etc.

- Patrick
==========

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Mid-2012 / iMac Retina 5K Late-2014
Open string harmonics can -ONLY- be used if the guitar is set up properly and correctly intonated. I've encountered many guitarists that aren't even -aware- of the fact that if you change the tuning or the gauge of strings, the harmonics need to be 're-tuned' by adjusting the saddles in the bridge. Proper intonation adjustments are paramount for proper sound all the way up the fret board as well as being able to use harmonics to tune the guitar to itself.

A second, less severe, issue is that changing tension on a string inversely affects the tension on the other strings. So, tuning a flat low E, for example, will slightly relax the other five strings and cause them all to go just slightly flat. If the entire guitar is flat, I like to tune the low E a little sharp, adjust the rest of the strings, and come back and see how much the low E "flattened back out."

Tuning a guitar is as much an art as it is a science.

Reaction score
I hardly use widgets much, but there are a lot of small guitar tuner programs that would open quickly. Two that I have used are AWS Guitar Tuner and Freaky Tuner OSX. Freaky Tuner is for multiple instruments.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.