bootcamp gaming issue with window 10 on imac5k (late 2014)

Reaction score
Hi,

I am a first timer on this forum and I apologize in advance if this post is in the wrong section. I have been using bootcamp running windows 8-10 to play games on my late 2014 imac 5k ( with the radeon r9 m295x) and it was flawless until about 2-3 months ago. I got the frozen red screen with nothing on it (and I have to do the button restart), especially when I am playing Overwatch. It started out happening a few time in a week to now that every hour or less it crashes on me while playing that game. I did some search online and found some posts on the AMD graphic driver being buggy ( and unfortunately I have upgraded mine to the latest as well along with all the windows 10 update which I now regret doing so). I am at the point where I am not sure if I can locate where the problem is anymore.

On window device manager it says the driver version is 15.301.2101 and it is the version offered by AMD on their site http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/bootcamp but then the software asked me to upgrade and I believe I did so as well ( I apologize again for the confusion due to the extreme 'bugginess' of the program). I am positive that the latest version is 16 something and was being installed.

I would really appreciate help and suggestion as the only reason for me to install windows on this imac is solely for gaming.

Thank you for reading.

p.s. I have posted the same question on macrumor forum as well as I am desperately looking for a solution to the problem.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

You can always roll back the driver version if necessary. However, since your iMac is crashing in Windows only when you play that game, it's probably best to only use the driver that Boot Camp installed or just not play the game. If the AMD graphic driver were buggy, it would cause other problems while in Windows.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.