Advice on Processor for Macbook Pro

Reaction score
I'm about to purchase my first Apple machine and have decided on the 13-inch Macbook Pro without the Touchbar.

I will only be using it for email, surfing and some word processing and spreadsheet creation.

This machine comes with a 2.0GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor.

I've read that one should upgrade to the i7 processor to make the machine more future proof.

Do you think I should spend the extra £200+ in this case?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP i7 mid 2012 macOS 10.12
I would (and did) spec the i7, but if it comes down to a choice between a slightly faster processor or more storage, I'd take the storage every time.

If there was any choice in the RAM size, I'd also look at that before the processor. In this case, I believe the RAM size is not expandable, so it's not a consideration you will have to worry about.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If what you say is all you will use it for, go for the storage, If you are going to be storing spreadsheets etc go for the 512GB flash as 256 is not much by the time you get the system installed, Office 2016 etc. and the 16GB memory. You cannot increase the memory capacity of late model MBP as it is part of the motherboard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
I've read that one should upgrade to the i7 processor to make the machine more future proof.

Do you think I should spend the extra £200+ in this case?

Thanks

How long do you typically keep a laptop for? There are CPU's from 2009 that are more than capable of running any application today - the things that usually choke older Macs are low RAM and an under-powered GPU.

There really isn't much in it, although the Iris 550 graphics in the i7 is quite a bit better than the 540 in the i5, but unless you're thinking of playing games you won't notice a difference.

Far more important is getting 16GB of RAM because 3 or 4 years from now, that is what will choke your machine. I believe that's the same price as the i7 upgrade. 256GB of storage will vanish quickly too... 512 give you a lot more wiggle room.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.