How to transfer music from imac to iphone

Reaction score
I have an iMac running 10.6.8 and an iPhone 6S running 10.1.1. I would like to transfer my music from the iMac to the phone WITHOUT using iTunes (because my Mac is too old, and cannot update to latest). What are my options re: 3 rd party software?
Thanks, Kevin.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I was going to suggest iMazing but it requires at least OS X 10.7. iExplorer 3 will run on OS X 10.6.x but doesn't support IOS 10. If you are only transferring music and playlists Senuti is worth a look. Pretty sure their version runs on 10.6 but I am not sure about IOS 10 support. There is a free demo available though so you could test it and see.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It appears that Senuti will do the transfer from an iDevice back to iTunes, but says nothing in their support docs about doing the transfer from one's Mac to an iDevice. As Slydude says, download their trial version but I doubt that it will work. Ultimately, you will need a newer Mac or maybe a PC running at least Windows 7 to do the transfer.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Good catch Charlie. The need to make the transfer back never occurred to me (donning dunce cap as we speak).:Oops::[ It has been quite a while since I used Senuti. I don't remember if the transfer goes both ways or not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP i7 mid 2012 macOS 10.12
My gut feeling is that using iCloud as a middleman should be possible. I haven't figured it out yet, so I'm throwing this in the mix now in the hope that someone else has an "Oh, yeah!" moment.

I know it works for purchases simply by turning on "automatic downloads", but I'm not so sure about music that is not associated with an AppleID. I'm wondering whether adding the music to the latest version of iTunes that the computer WILL run can somehow be made available to devices via the cloud to devices that can't be addressed by iTunes.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Apple has made this unnecessarily difficult for those owners of older Macs or PCs that happen to have a new iPhone or iPad. It seems to me less of a problem for Android owners who are able to keep up even with older equipment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP i7 mid 2012 macOS 10.12
Apple has made this unnecessarily difficult for those owners of older Macs or PCs that happen to have a new iPhone or iPad. It seems to me less of a problem for Android owners who are able to keep up even with older equipment.

Agreed. And considering the beauty of a Mac is its longevity, I think it's pretty lame that Apple's own software can't appear to keep up. It's bad enough having to deal with the many-headed monster that is iTunes, without having to tell someone that their brand new iPhone can't be managed on an Apple computer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.