Error messages - iphone to imac

Reaction score
When I plug in an iphone to the mac desktop in order to sync music or photos, I get an error message that says....'iTunes could not connect to the iPhone "Tim's iPhone" because an invalid response was received from the device'... and 'Photos in the Camera Roll of "Tim's iPhone" cannot be imported because the devise is locked with a passcode. You must unlock the devise to import them.'
Neither of these messages have appeared in the past. Tried to find and use the passcode they're talking about. No luck. Not sure how to proceed. Thanx Tim

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Tim

A warm welcome to Mac-Forums.

There is only one "Passcode" and that is the code you use to unlock your iDevice.

However, there may be other issues because the messages you got should not happen.

One thing to check - make sure that you have a secure USB connection direct to a port on the Mac, not via a hub.

Another thing to consider is a hard reboot of your iPhone. (Done by holding down the Power and Home buttons together and continue doing so until the iPhone shuts down and the the Apple icon appears).

Then try again.

Please post back. We are here to help.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
I have also noticed some cables (non Apple) do not always work correctly. We have a few around the house.

OP
T
Reaction score
No go on the hard reboot.....same messages....using a mac cable as well......

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Jake, the OP has already done a hard/force restart as advised by me (post #2) - and it doesn't erase anything. It didn't help either!

I've done this on several phones where there were problems that wouldn't go away - it's frequently worked and all data, apps and the rest are preserved.

Ian

M

MacInWin

Sorry, Ian, I missed the reboot of the iPhone. Normally that clears everything.

OP
T
Reaction score
Tried changing cables, as well.....same messages. Could this be a mac(destination) problem instead of an iphone(source) problem?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.