Excel VBA Command Button doesn't look quite right...

Reaction score
Hi

I have an Excel .xlsm workbook, originally created in Excel for Windows, and I'm now trying to port it across to Excel for Mac.

I'm using a Command Button on multiple sheets to trigger a VBA Macro (that inserts rows). The macro triggers fine when the .xlsm file is opened on the Mac, after accepting the prompt to allow macros to run etc. The only thing that I can't figure out is why the Command Button looks different.

In the original (Win) file, the Command Button is fitted neatly within a cell boundary. When I open the same file on the Mac, the button is slightly deformed, with the button text shows as being slightly separate/disassociated from the actual button. I can still click the button on the Mac, but it just looks bad.

Does anyone have any tips for how to make a Command Button cross-platform compatible, or suggestions for a cross-platform alternative way of triggering my VBA macro that will look consistent regardless of which OS is opening the file?

I don't want to create to different file versions as the workbook is quite substantial, and managing changes across two separate files would be less than ideal.

Any help / suggestions warmly welcomed!

It's my first post, and I'm a lifelong Windows user (...insert pity here...), so please be gentle with me...

Thanks,

Grahame

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Excel on the Mac does not have all the functionality of Excel for Windows.
I ported lots of .xls files from windows to OS X and every single spreadsheet had a few issues . I had to adapt ( read change ) each and every one of them.
Formulas is another thing to be worried about and I suggest you test every sheet to ensure it has the correct functionality.

I know that this is not what you wanted to hear, but it is a reality.
( I don't know about Office 360 though )

Cheers ... McBie

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks McBie. Just out of interest, do you know how Excel files behave if ported back from Mac to Windows? Over the years I've had Win-created files returned from Mac users and all of the column widths have gone horribly awry, but I wondered if the file is "finished" on a Mac whether it will still look and function when opened on a PC.

Cheers

Grahame

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
I have no experience with porting Excel files from OS X to Windows .... never tried that.
But I can imagine a similar set of issues when porting back to windows.

Cheers ... McBie

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.