PDA

View Full Version : Free Mac apps-kindle

lori5060
12-21-2016, 11:26 PM
Don't know too much about readers but am interested now.

I wanted to download kindle reader app for books. I clicked in apps store assuming it was free but after I entered my Apple id password ..... only options were to buy or cancel.

I tried another few apps that were supposed to be free and same result. I have the newest update to my iPad Air and wonder if something was changed.

Can anyone shed light on this?

I see that I can download amazon kindle.
Will this work only for kindle from Amazon or will work from any site?
Is this different than the one in apps options?
Are all kindle readers the same?

Rod Sprague
12-21-2016, 11:40 PM
What app you can use will depend entirely on where you source your ebooks from. Perhaps this article will give you a starting point. https://www.lifewire.com/ebook-file-compatibility-chart-3973636 As an example my wife belongs to a local Australian Public Library. It has a large amount of its collection stored and available for free download to Library members through Bolinda Digital. If she downloads a book to her iPad she can use BorrowBox to store her library and read content, but, she chooses to use Adobe Digital Editions because of its preferences.

lori5060
12-22-2016, 12:44 AM
Thanks for replying rod
I have iBooks on my iPad so can read PDF and ePub formats. But I can also read those via overdrive app thru my local library.
I was wondering about reading other formats.

I read online where I could download free a kindle app and wanted to try that out to compare.
But when I clicked on get app, then install..... it said I had to buy.

I tried a few other apps which said free and got same result.
Cannot figure out why I cannot download free apps from App Store!!

chscag
12-22-2016, 12:53 AM
Lori:

Download the Kindle app directly from Amazon.com. You can use it on your Mac or iPad, iPhone, etc. I have it on my Mac and iPhone and can read any Kindle book on either device.

As far as downloading free apps from the App Store, it will say "Buy" and ask for your Apple ID. The app is still free, however. You will not be charged. I download free apps from the app store and have never been charged. Also, I like the Kindle app and books better than the Apple iBooks. Amazon has a larger collection.

lori5060
12-22-2016, 01:23 AM
I live in canada so wuld I use Amazon.ca?

The buy button has never showed before and that is what confused me.

I have been reading bout pros and cons of iBooks and kindle.
What do you especially like about kindle?
And what are all formats one can read with kindle?

chscag
12-22-2016, 02:48 AM
Yes, you would use the Amazon.ca site rather than the US site. I like Kindle better because most of my favorite authors post their works first on Amazon since they're the largest distributer of books. I really don't know what other formats the Kindle can read but you can probably do some research on that from their site.

IWT
12-22-2016, 05:08 AM
+1 for Kindle

+1 for getting it from Amazon

In the App store on my iMac: if it's free, it just says "Get" - and "Buy" means purchase.

But on my iDevices using App Store - Buy is usually synonymous with Acquire; i.e. it applies equally to "Get" (free) and "Buy" (purchase).

And yes, Lori, it can be confusing. But, as with Admin chicago, I've never been charge erroneously.

Ian

MacInWin
12-22-2016, 01:08 PM
In the App store on my iMac: if it's free, it just says "Get" - and "Buy" means purchase.Not always. I see "Buy" for free stuff all the time. But before I select the item the price shows in the little box, and if that says "Get" then it is free. If it shows an amount that is what you pay. But in either case, after you click the little box, you get a prompt to "Buy" or "Cancel."

At least that's how it works for me.

IWT
12-22-2016, 01:20 PM
Yes, Jake, you are correct, that happens too. Hence Lori's confusion.

Ian

lori5060
12-22-2016, 04:39 PM
Thanks everone
I was able to download Amazon kindle scessfully and without chg just like all of you said.
Thnx. Not sure how many books I will actually buy tho. I usually prefer a book I can hold (old fashioned I know) and get them from my local library.
But for traveling this app will work great to read books.

harryb2448
12-22-2016, 04:48 PM
You will get over that Lori and as Rod says, joining a library with access to ebooks really helps. This may help:-

https://www.overdrive.com