Mac Photos app

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have been using Photos on my Mac to store my iPhone photos. I normally transfer my photos by plugging my iPhone in to my Mac and syncing them. I want to be able to transfer them now via iCloud.

I am wondering if I turn on iCloud Photo Library on my Mac, will it duplicate all the photos I've already got stored in Photos?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
A warm welcome to Mac-Forums.

The ideal way to do this is to use My Photo Stream.

On your Mac, open Photos > Preferences > Cloud and check the box "My Photo Stream".

Then on your iPhone, Settings > Photos & Camera > Check My Photo Stream.

NB iCloud Photo Library is totally different. It uses the Cloud, but in a different way. In fact, it explains itself rather well on your Mac and iPhone.

So what you want is My Photo Stream.

What I have done is activate iCloud Photo Libraries as well ONLY on my Mac, as a backup. Don't do this on your iPhone unless you want to access your entire your photos/videos library on your iPhone.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.