PDA

View Full Version : Making a copy of a bootable USB drive to another one

Bernarada
12-19-2016, 07:09 PM
Hi

I can't find clear infos about that. . . I have a bootable copy of Mavericks on a USB thumb drive, and I would like to make another (bootable) copy of it on another thumb drive.

It seems that it can't be done just by copying the content of it. So if not, how can it be done ?

Thanks, B.

ferrarr
12-19-2016, 08:11 PM
Clone might work, haven't tried it though. Try SuperDuper!, or Carbon Copy Cloner. Easiest way is to download Mavericks from the Mac App Store, look in your Purchased page. Then once Mavericks is on your Mac, use DiskMaker X to create the USB.

Bernarada
12-19-2016, 08:45 PM
I haven't thought of that. I have CCC, so I'll have a look. I know I could use the installer and DiskMaker, I just wondered if there was a simpler, more direct way.

Slydude
12-19-2016, 10:33 PM
A direct copy does not work as you have discovered. The process of creating a bootable copy is a bit more involved than just a straight copy. Give the cloning process. I'd recommend using CCC because it creates both the main partition and the recovery partition. Unless something has changed recently SuperDuper does not recreate (clone) the recovery partition.

Bernarada
12-19-2016, 11:04 PM
So CCC would work. Great news, thanks Slydude.

ferrarr
12-19-2016, 11:22 PM
A direct copy does not work as you have discovered. The process of creating a bootable copy is a bit more involved than just a straight copy. Give the cloning process. I'd recommend using CCC because it creates both the main partition and the recovery partition. Unless something has changed recently SuperDuper does not recreate (clone) the recovery partition.
Sly, OP is trying to copy their Mavericks bootable USB installer, not their OS drive.

Bernarada
12-19-2016, 11:42 PM
Aha. Well, Ferrarr, that raises the question then. Can CCC be used to clone my USB key with the bootable Mavericks to another USB key, making it the same, that is, also bootable ?

Slydude
12-20-2016, 12:09 AM
Sorry for the confusion. Either CCC or SuperDuper should "clone" that Mavericks installer. Since you are cloning the installer, cloning the recovery partition should not be an issue.

Bernarada
12-20-2016, 01:10 AM
Right. Got that, thanks.

ferrarr
12-20-2016, 07:16 AM
Please post back with your results, for others, that may want to do this.

Bernarada
12-20-2016, 12:27 PM
Good idea. Will do.

IamWilliam
12-20-2016, 11:38 PM
Yes. There are many USB drive clone software could could help you.