cannot connect printer via ethernet

Reaction score
Macbook Pro running El Capitain trying to connect via ethernet to Epson WF 3010DW printer.
I cannot make this connection work. I have disabled the firewall and set the printer to be shared.
The printer and the Macbook are plugged into the same Netgear multiport, but the Mac says the printer is off line.
Something obvious is not happening - help welcomed.
Richard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Macbook Pro running El Capitain trying to connect via ethernet to Epson WF 3010DW printer.
I cannot make this connection work. I have disabled the firewall and set the printer to be shared.
The printer and the Macbook are plugged into the same Netgear multiport, but the Mac says the printer is off line.
Something obvious is not happening - help welcomed.

Hi Richard - just to clarify your physical setup - you have a Netgear router and your MBPro is ethernet cabled to the router (is this from the WAN port to your computer) and the Epson printer is ethernet cabled from another LAN port on the router - correct? Also, which firewall did you disable, i.e. the one on the router and/or in macOS?

In addition, is your Epson firmware/utilities updated - if not, check HERE - below are a few screen captures from the link w/ the dates of the most recent updates circled in blue - let me stop there for you to respond - good luck. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2016-12-19 at 11.41.43 AM.png Screen Shot 2016-12-19 at 11.40.15 AM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
All the Epson printers I have used require setting up via USB cable first, and then setting up for wifi.

OP
E
Reaction score
RadDave.
I think what you say is correct. The netgear box is a "fast Ethernet switch' no FS108 with 8 ports.
Internet enters at one end and the Mac internet is taken through one of the slots. I have connected the printer through another slot.
I have checked the other items you mention - all ok.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
RadDave.
I think what you say is correct. The netgear box is a "fast Ethernet switch' no FS108 with 8 ports.
Internet enters at one end and the Mac internet is taken through one of the slots. I have connected the printer through another slot.
I have checked the other items you mention - all ok.

Hi again Richard - just for final clarification, is the Netgear switch the one shown below? I've not owned an Epson printer in ages - my last half dozen have been Canon Inkjets and Brother Lasers - for my laser I had to do an USB cabled connection for setup then could easily go to wireless on my home network - I suggest taking Harry's advice, i.e. cable the printer to your computer and try to setup, then you can try other options - just not sure if the use of the 'ethernet switch' might be the issue - hopefully some of our networking members will 'chime in' w/ suggestions. Dave :_
Screen Shot 2016-12-19 at 5.39.09 PM.png

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Have a look at these directions and see if they point you in the right direction. You haver to scroll down a bit to see if that looks like your printer. If I am understanding their directions correctly that printer has drivers that are part of OS X.

OP
E
Reaction score
All done and working.
Very grateful thanks to everyone. I am so eager to get to my Mac as my main machine then ditch my WIN XP so this is most helpful.
Richard

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Just out of curiosity, what did you have to do to get things working? Perhaps others will benefit from this info.

OP
E
Reaction score
The image of the switch is absolutely correct.
The short answer to how I corrected things is I just don't know. I followed Harry's advice to uninstall then reinstall the printer while everything was connected and it just worked. I always thought that Macs were "intuitive" but I guess that 30 years of WIN takes some brain resetting.
Grateful thanks.
Richard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Macs are Epson's aint!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.