downloading large email attachment

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm a new user, both to a mac and to this forum. I'm running Sierra OS X.
I can't download a 290mb file attached to an email. Keep being told it is too large or move to file hub.
It is compressed RAR file with maps for a gps unit.
Any advice is appreciated.
Joe

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
OP
K
Reaction score
HI and a warm welcome to Mac-Forums.

For large files, and this is large!, you can use Mail Drop which is native to Mac Mail as from Mac OS Yosemite.

Here's how to do it: http://osxdaily.com/2014/11/14/use-mail-drop-email-large-files-mac-os-x/

Ian

Thanks. Let me clarify. The file has already been sent to me at my godaddy email address. It came from a business in China. I want to download it from the godaddy email. When I click on the attachment, I get "The file is too large to download directly. Recommend you to use tools to download it."
Joe

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I wonder what kind of tools that the GoDaddy message is referring to? You have no control over the file size if it has already been sent to you. If the file was sent to a GoDaddy server address it could then be downloaded using FTP. Or perhaps the sender of the file could provide you with a link that you can directly download it from?

M

MacInWin

Or you could contact GoDaddy to ask them what to do. That would be how I would start.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.