How old is my Macbook Pro?

Reaction score
I am running OS 10.6.8 and I want to update to the most recent OS that I can but I don't know how old my laptop is. How can I find out what OS I can update to?

Thanks,
Wayne

Reaction score
I am running OS 10.6.8 and I want to update to the most recent OS that I can but I don't know how old my laptop is. How can I find out what OS I can update to?

Download:

MacTracker (free)
http://mactracker.ca/

Which is a little self-contained database that provides all sorts of helpful information about every Macintosh ever made. Included is info on the most recent OS you can update to.

OR, if you would prefer, you can just go into System Profiler on your Mac, and tell us the Model Identifier for your Mac, and we'll look it up for you.

If your Macbook Pro came with OS X 10.6 installed, then I can tell you that it almost certainly was a 2010 or 2011 model.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
In addition to above tips, if you download coconutBattery app (free) it will tell you the exact production dates for your MBP and its battery, and is generally a very useful app anyway.

Screen%20Shot%202016-12-18%20at%2012.01.16_zpscaxrpcq4.png~original

M

MacInWin

Welcome to the forum.

More important than how old it is is, "What model is it?" You find that by clicking on the  in the upper left corner, then "About This Mac" and you will see a window that will tell you the model information and what version of the operating system you are running. Generally, the model number is in the format of "mid-2011" where it is either early, mid or late YEAR.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.