Location..... eh???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple LC, MacBook Pro, iPhone 6S
Ive recently signed in to my Apple account on a couple of Apple items I haven't used in a year. I live in London UK, why am I being warned that a new location of Manchester about 200 miles away someone is trying to log in to a new location on these items?

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
As this is happening as a result of you logging into these devices it's likely that they are the devices mentioned In the alert.
Do you have location services switched on for these devices? What are they? Are we talking about phones or laptops or what? Do you have find my iPhone/Mac switched on? What operating systems are you using on each device.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac Forums

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As this is happening as a result of you logging into these devices it's likely that they are the devices mentioned In the alert.
Do you have location services switched on for these devices? What are they? Are we talking about phones or laptops or what? Do you have find my iPhone/Mac switched on? What operating systems are you using on each device.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac Forums

Thanks for reply, yes location services on, Find iPhone is on, using latest IOS and OS on iPhone, iPod and PowerBook Pro. Changed my Apple ID PW the other day and it's always telling me someone is trying to log on in Manchester. Had many problems for years with logging on to Apple ID, there's a newish thread regarding that in this forum, earlier in the week, think that was to do with having a me.com ID.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
That is likely the physical address of the company whose service you are using to connect to Apple is located. Whether that is your phone service provider or an ISP. That would be where the IP address assigned for their use (then from them to you) is located.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
That is likely the physical address of the company whose service you are using to connect to Apple is located. Whether that is your phone service provider or an ISP. That would be where the IP address assigned for their use (then from them to you) is located.
I was going to suggest that as IPs aren't often the best indicators of location other than to put you in a nation (and perhaps a region). One website, for example, has me in a city 450km away.

Last edited:
OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, that's a new one on me. Been using Virgin for years and never had this before. In the past my location has gone down as very local.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.