Photos import question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2019, 2.4GHz i9, 64Gb Ram, AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8Gb, 2Tb SSD
Is there a way on photos version 2.0 to determine if i am importing a photo or video. I cant remember but i think previous versions of photos or iphoto had a small icon denoting that the item was a video file. This seems to be missing on version 2.0. Can it be turned back on, or is there a setting somewhere where i can filter out the videos before importing. I use imovie for video and delete most of the videos after editing hence why i dont want to import things twice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the reply ferrarr?

I am familiar with image capture it has its uses sometimes. However id rather use the photos program on its own. It used to work without having to switch between programs, im almost certain there used to be an icon at the import stage denoting if the file was a video.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
In my Photos (Version 1.5 to be sure - I'm still running El Capitan):

When I open the app - on the left of the screen is the Sidebar (if not seen then Go into View > Show Sidebar).

The Sidebar lists everything and within the list is"Videos". Click on this and all (and only) videos are shown.

This refers, of course, to pictures or videos already imported.

When you are selecting material for Import - Videos are identified with a video camera icon bottom left of the thumbnail and the length of the video in hrs, mins, secs bottom right of the thumbnail. Can be difficult to spot, but you can increase the size of the thumbnails for better clarity.

Hope that helps. I'd be really amazed if things were changed in the Sierra version because this is how they have been since the year dot.

Ian

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thats it. The small video camera icon on the bottom left and the time of the video on the right. Despite zooming in and out i still dont see these. It just seems to be something i notice has went missing after a recent update.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.