Two log in passwords now required

Reaction score
Hi all,

Could anyone tell me why I now have to enter two passwords when i boot up my mac?
When I first had it i just used one password, now I am having to input two different passwords?
Don't recall why this changed

thanks in advance

Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
When I first had it i just used one password, now I am having to input two different passwords?
I don't understand what you mean with this statement?

OP
D
Reaction score
Hi,
when i boot up i get the apple logo followed by a password request. Then I get a screen where i click on my icon and have to enter another password, both passwords are different. I can remember when i was only presented with one log in screen that led to my desktop......

hope this is clearer

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hi,
when i boot up i get the apple logo followed by a password request. Then I get a screen where i click on my icon and have to enter another password, both passwords are different. I can remember when i was only presented with one log in screen that led to my desktop......

hope this is clearer

It sounds like a firmware password to first access your Mac and then another password to enter your admin account. The only way you would have two passwords is if you set it up that way. Do you remember what you did? Unless there is something else going on (like accessing a network) that you haven't told us, that's the only way you would have two passwords. Are you on a network or have a home network?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's not a firmware password request (after the Apple appears) since it shows your account name. Are you by chance using encryption (FileVault)? FileVault requires a log on password be used... and if you had one setup before you implemented FileVault, that's why you now have two. Also... there is a good chance that you might not even be aware that FileVault was implemented if you recently installed a new version of OS X. FileVault is turned on by default in new installations.

OP
D
Reaction score
Hi chscag,

Your correct I have no idea if that is in use or not! where can I find it and check if this is the cause?

thanks,

Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
FileVault is located in System Preferences > Security.

OP
D
Reaction score
Switching off filevault resolved the issue.
Thanks for the help guys. This must have been installed when I upgraded the OS as you suggested.
Do you recommend using filevault or not?

Thanks again,

Dave

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Switching off filevault resolved the issue.

Do you recommend using filevault or not?

Dave

Have you such secrets on your Mac that you don't want the FBI, CIA, KGB to see? It more or less comes down to that.

Also, remember that FileVault (FV) only works when your Mac is switched off. During normal operations, for obvious reasons, your data is unencrypted and therefore unprotected.

Next, when you turn on FV you will set up a password and get a security code as backup in case you forget the PW. Forget one and lose the other and your Mac is a goner.

Finally, a small but significant number of FV users have experienced problems.

So, my bottom line would be - forget it - concentrate instead on safe computing and standard security practice.

Ian

Reaction score
IWT

Have you such secrets on your Mac that you don't want the FBI, CIA, KGB to see?

I LOVE IT! Great Response.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.