Can I play music for free on iPhone 6?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020, 8GB, 512GB, Ventura 13.2
I'm new to iPhone. I have an iPhone 6 with 10.1.1. I just wanted to put music on the phone from my MacBook Pro using iTunes, but iTunes wasn't showing the phone although it is recognized by Photos. I opened the Music app on the phone and am given an offer to try Music for free for three months. I don't want to stream or use iCloud, I just want to listen to my music. Recommendations? Thanks

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
When you launch iTunes with your phone plugged in, if it was previously connected to it, it should show up with a small iPhone indicator in the iTunes sidebar. When you click on it, you can then sync music/podcasts/photos and apps to your iPhone from iTunes.

If you hadn't previously connected this iPhone to iTunes, then the first time it is connected, it should've asked you to get it configured.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
The short answer to your question is a definite "Yes".

As Ashwin has pointed out, the music you currently have on your Mac's iTunes is yours. You own it, either by download from iTunes store or by importing from your owned CD, for example.

What you were seeing when you opened the Music app on your iPhone was "Apple Music" which offers you a free three month trial, after which you pay $9.99 or £9.99 per month. I'm pretty sure this is not what you want.

As my colleague, Ashwin, said, connect your iPhone to your Mac via USB - and the USB connection should be to a port on your Mac, not via a hub, otherwise it may not be recognised.

As you have El Capitan, and therefore I presume the latest version of iTunes (12.5.3.17), a tiny telephone-like icon will appear near the top of the window just to the right of the Music, Albums, Apps drop down box.

Click on that. The first time, if it is your first time, you will be taken through a configuration process, the options of which are pretty self explanatory. Make your choices.

Then immediately under the phone icon is Music. Clicking on that allows you to choose what songs, albums, genres, artists, playlists etc you wish to sync. Choose and click sync which is near the bottom on the right.

Hope that helps a bit.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.