Unauthorized access

Reaction score
I live out of the country working for a company that provides wireless internet in my apartment. I use a MacBook Air running sierra v10.12.1. Recently, a document, that only resides on my hard drive, was given to my personnel department. I would like to see if there is a way to determine who accessed my computer and copied this document. Any help would be greatly appreciated. No one else has had physical access to my laptop nor was this document ever emailed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
Is this a work owned computer, or your personal computer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.
Was this Document in e-mail, Note or Letter form?.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
How have you protected your computer against remote access ?
Have you ever physically shared your computer with anyone else ?

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
Do you have to install any software "for work"?

OP
H
Reaction score
No, this was a personal computer, company did not install or require me to install anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
How was the pdf document created? - e.g. you typed in Pages or say, OpenOffice Writer and converted into pdf, or was it online form/application you filled and saved the completed application on your MBA, etc?

Reason I'm asking is there could be another source for the document - some forms automatically saved at the originating computer, when filled.

Reaction score
If it's your personal computer, it absolutely, 100%, CANNOT at all, have any work-related software on it. It has definitely NEVER been inside an office related to your company, NEVER handled by your company's IT department, and NEVER involved in company work. To detach your company from cause, all of these points MUST be 100% true. If you ever brought it to work and put it on the network, if you ever let the IT department install things on it, if you ever left confusion on if it was a company asset in these cases, it likely got loaded with something used inside the company. If you have absolutely NO doubt whatsoever that the company NEVER touched the computer, then it's as distinct from the company as mine. Your company can't randomly pull data from your laptop the same way they can't pull it from mine, or MBP17.David's, or Harleyinlv's.

That said, there was legal barriers preventing random data collection from company computers (or ones with software installed that makes the company thinks they own them). They have to have certain evidence indicating a need to pull data. If they have suspicion of a crime and legal paperwork in place, they may do such a collection. But again, they can't pull data from me, they can't pull data from you, UNLESS you allowed them to install software that enabled it.

I suspect you sent the document to someone who leaked it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.