Refurbished iPad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MacBook Air; iPhone 5s; iPad
I have just received a refurbished iPad 2. How do I move the data from my old one to the new one?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Backup your old one to iTunes and then restore the backup to your new iPad 2. You could also do the same using iCloud, but it may be easier and faster with iTunes.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, how do I back up the old one to iTunes? I have tried syncing the old one with my mid-2011 Air, but nothing happens. I'm running ElCapitan 10.11.5. Obviously, I'm barely computer literate!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
1) Plug your old iPad to your computer
2) Start iTunes
3) Click on the iPad device within iTunes
4) On the main back, click on Backup this iPad to this Mac
5) Unplug the old iPad
6) Plug the new iPad in
7) iTunes will recognize that it's a new device and ask you configure it and restore the data. Point it to the backup you just made and it will bring everything back..

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1) Plug your old iPad to your computer
2) Start iTunes
3) Click on the iPad device within iTunes
4) On the main back, click on Backup this iPad to this Mac
5) Unplug the old iPad
6) Plug the new iPad in
7) iTunes will recognize that it's a new device and ask you configure it and restore the data. Point it to the backup you just made and it will bring everything back..

Thanks so much. Got a message "cannot back-up, not enough space. Now what?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Thanks so much. Got a message "cannot back-up, not enough space. Now what?

Hello - I'm assuming that you're using the MBAir (2011) - correct? Not sure which macOS is installed and whether your iTunes is up-to-date, but for starters go to the Apple (top left menu), click and select 'About This Mac' - a dialog box will appear, click on 'Storage' - a bar graph will appear (like the one below from my MBPro which is running Sierra - if you are not on that macOS, the appearance may be different) - tell us the capacity of your drive and 'how much' free space is left. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2016-12-07 at 11.58.05 AM.png

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Your Macbook Air is likely out of space. Depending on the size of your iPad, a full backup will take quite a bit of space. So if you have an external HD, start moving stuff off the MBA to make some room..

Edit: I knew I should've just waited for Dave to come in with one of his handy screenshots..;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Your Macbook Air is likely out of space. Depending on the size of your iPad, a full backup will take quite a bit of space. So if you have an external HD, start moving stuff off the MBA to make some room..

Edit: I knew I should've just waited for Dave to come in with one of his handy screenshots..;)

Hey Ashwin - LOL! :) Maybe my gunslinger practice has made me faster on the draw? But, doubt it - you guys invariably beat me to the post line! Dave

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello - I'm assuming that you're using the MBAir (2011) - correct? Not sure which macOS is installed and whether your iTunes is up-to-date, but for starters go to the Apple (top left menu), click and select 'About This Mac' - a dialog box will appear, click on 'Storage' - a bar graph will appear (like the one below from my MBPro which is running Sierra - if you are not on that macOS, the appearance may be different) - tell us the capacity of your drive and 'how much' free space is left. Dave :)
View attachment 25432

Hi, I'm still running El Capitan, I always wait a bit when a new OS comes out. My graph says I have 121 GB storage, 55.94 Free. The majority (38.53) is labeled "other".

Thanks, Pam

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pam, when you connected your old iPad to iTunes, on the page where there was the backup button, if you look up there is information about the iPad. Please take note of the Capacity line and tell us what it says..

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pam, when you connected your old iPad to iTunes, on the page where there was the backup button, if you look up there is information about the iPad. Please take note of the Capacity line and tell us what it says..

Thank you all so very much for your help. When I connected the old iPad to iTunes, (Capacity12.1) It showed a back-up with today's date. I then connected the new iPad and low and behold, it copied everything. It is now in the process of updating.

Thanks again for all of your help!!

I LOVE MacForums! Makes this 72 y/o Gram of 8 feel like she can do anything!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Excellent! Enjoy your new iPad! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Congrats Pam! Hope that all goes well - Dave :)

Reaction score
Thank you all so very much for your help. When I connected the old iPad to iTunes, (Capacity12.1) It showed a back-up with today's date. I then connected the new iPad and low and behold, it copied everything. It is now in the process of updating.

Thanks again for all of your help!!

I LOVE MacForums! Makes this 72 y/o Gram of 8 feel like she can do anything!

I agree!!! at 68, seems 24 hours is not enough to learn new things here in the MAC Forum....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I agree!!! at 68, seems 24 hours is not enough to learn new things here in the MAC Forum....

Hi Greyzland - I'm 70 y/o so between you and our OP - and still learning myself - this forum is a fantastic font of information - Dave :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.