reinstall Safari

Reaction score
I think Safari may be corrupted on my MAC since I only get the beach ball when using it. No real problems with Google. Can I delete Safari and do a fresh reinstall?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Which version of Safari are you using? Also include your version of OS X. One thing you might try is to clear your browsing history in Safari and remove all extensions to see if that helps. You can add the extensions back one by one later.

Reaction score
I think Safari may be corrupted on my MAC since I only get the beach ball when using it. No real problems with Google. Can I delete Safari and do a fresh reinstall?

You can. You can even likely download/upgrade to a later version of Safari if you are running a recent enough version of the MacOS.

Safari 10 upgrade
http://talk.tidbits.com/TidBITS-Safari-10-0-td4676060.html

Safari 9 upgrade
http://tidbits.com/article/16360

But why not try re-setting the copy of Safari that you already have first?

If you are running OS X 10.9 or earlier, in Safari, go to the Safari menu and choose Reset Safari.

As of OS X 10.10 (Yosemite), Safari no longer has a reset function. Instead, have a look at this article for how to very comprehensively reset Safari:
http://www.macissues.com/2015/06/22/how-to-fully-reset-safari-on-your-mac/

Here is a trick that I've been using for years to optimize Safari's performance.

Occasionally delete the QuickTime plug-in preferences file:

Close all browsers.

While in the Finder, Option-click the Go menu (that is, hold down the Option key and then choose the Go menu)

Your ~/Library (user library) will appear in the menu; choose it

Go into the Preferences folder

and delete this file (it will be rebuilt the next time that you launch your Web browser):

com.apple.quicktime.plugin.preferences.plist

OP
O
Reaction score
Running Mavericks with 4Gb RAM. Reset Safari all the time and delete history. Have reset Permissions. Will try the Library delete. Tried many tips from my previous post but some are over my head. I use Yahoo since that's my email, could that be the culprit? Will try this while using Chrome.

OP
O
Reaction score
When I Option-click the Go menu the user library is not listed. Running OS 10.9.5. Any suggestions?

OP
O
Reaction score
OK, found it and deleted the file you gave. Will let you know how it works out. As always TY for the help.

Reaction score
OK, found it and deleted the file you gave. Will let you know how it works out. As always TY for the help.

I suspect the reset should do it, but if not, just upgrade to a newer version of Safari.

Usually Apple doesn't provide Safari upgrades without forcing you to move to a newer version of the MacOS. But there were some extremely important security fixes in the last two Safari versions, so they made upgraded versions available for some older versions of the MacOS.

OP
O
Reaction score
Pretty sure it is Safari, when I use Yahoo in Chrome it is fast and no beach balls. How can I update or reinstall Safari? If I click on the Apple icon and updates there is nothing about Safari. Can you help me update? Should I first delete my copy of Safari? How would I do that? Not yet ready to update to Sierra. Also, when I use Safari on my MacBook Air I have no problems.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Pretty sure it is Safari, when I use Yahoo in Chrome it is fast and no beach balls. How can I update or reinstall Safari? If I click on the Apple icon and updates there is nothing about Safari. Can you help me update? Should I first delete my copy of Safari? How would I do that? Not yet ready to update to Sierra. Also, when I use Safari on my MacBook Air I have no problems.

To update Safari, open the App Store app on your Mac, then click Updates in the toolbar. Click the Update button next to Safari to download it.

However, I suspect that may not solve your problem. I'm beginning to suspect that the problem is that you need to fix/update Flash. Do this:

Uninstall the copy of Flash that you have installed with this uninstaller:
http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-mac-os.html

Download the full installer from this Adobe page:
http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/flashplayer/latest/help/install_flash_player_osx.dmg
Use it to install a fresh copy of Flash Player.

Now make sure that Flash is enabled in Safari.

In Safari...
Choose Safari menu --> Preferences
Click the Security tab.
Make sure that Enable JavaScript is selected.
Make sure that Allow Plug-Ins is selected.
Next to Allow Plug-ins, click Manage Website Settings
Select Adobe Flash Player in the far left column.
In the "When visiting other websites” menu, choose Allow.

OP
O
Reaction score
Tried the Adobe fix a few days ago and so far it has solved the problem. Haven't seen A BEACHBALL YET. THANKS SO MUCH. WILL KEEP YOU POSTED.

Reaction score
Tried the Adobe fix a few days ago and so far it has solved the problem. Haven't seen A BEACHBALL YET. THANKS SO MUCH. WILL KEEP YOU POSTED.

Thanks for letting us know what worked! Glad that your Mac is back to normal.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.