Can't Install Office 2011 Updates

Reaction score
I occasionally get a notice to install software updates on my Mac desktop computer – with Office 2011. The last one was the 14.7.0 update dated November 15, 2016. I said Install, then it downloaded and went through all the steps – License, Destination, Installation Type, etc. When I’m asked for my password, I put in the one I’ve always used for this system – and it doesn’t work. I’ve tried two other passwords associated with my Mac and Microsoft. No luck. Many systems will have a way to retrieve a password but I don’t find it on this system. What can I do? Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The password the installer is looking for is your Admin password. The same one that's required for making changes to the system or system files which is why the Office installer requires it. Make sure you do not have your caps lock key on when entering the password. And...try rebooting the system and run the Office installer once more. If you can log on to your computer with your password, then it's correct.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@cindycat

A warm welcome to Mac-Forums.

It is maybe just possible that you are confusing your passwords. No offence.

With Office for Mac 2011 already installed, as you have, the update only requires your Mac's Admin Password to permit the installation of the update - NOT any PW that is/was associated with Office itself.

Maybe, of course, I've misunderstood your situation and you are already doing this; but when you say you've tried various PWs, I'm inclined to think that those are or were linked with Office, rather than your Admin PW.

Ian

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Happy to note that Administrator chscag and I are saying much the same thing, though he, being wiser, says it in fewer words:);D

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.