iTunes won't recognize iPhone 5c when it is connected to computer

Reaction score
For some reason my iTunes app stopped recognizing my iPhone when I tried to sync photos. I previously have synced many times. The phone icon does not appear in the little place where it should be at the upper left corner of the iTunes screen, and I cannot even get to the series of screens I need to sync photos (and anything else).
Help, someone!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP i7 mid 2012 macOS 10.12
Have you updated your 5c to iOS 10? If so, you will need to update iTunes to version 12.5.3 which contains the necessary drivers for iOS 10.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Good point Kevin. Lots of folks straight away update their iPhone to the latest version of iOS without realizing that iTunes also will need to be updated so that syncing can continue as before. However, some folks may not be able to update to the latest iTunes if their version of OS X is too old.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP i7 mid 2012 macOS 10.12
That's true. My Windows PC runs Vista, which can no longer be updated.

iTunes 12.5.3 requires OS X 10.9.5 (Mavericks) or later.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.