IPad Air

Reaction score
I need expert help with gmail on my IPad Air. Gail recently updated an I am having some trouble

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP i7 mid 2012 macOS 10.12
I'm no expert but I use Gmail on iPhone and iPad. What is the problem? Are you using the native Mail app or the Gmail app?

OP
S
Reaction score
Gmail

I'm no expert but I use Gmail on iPhone and iPad. What is the problem? Are you using the native Mail app or the Gmail app?

Gmail software was recently updated on my iPad and left a couple of problems. I use the Gmail app.

1. When I get a longer msg it cuts off part of the msg at the end and I can't read all of it.

2. When I tap on a link to anything from the first it asks me to choose between Chrome and Safari. I don't have Chrome and don't want. Safari is my default already.

Can you help me?

Reaction score
Hi,

Dont know whether you sorted this out and I may be wrong, but I remember that this 'clipping' at around 20Kb was a known issue and you have to download the entire message to read it, actually it isn't clipping the message, it is just not downloading it in its entirety, there should be a button to download the full message, but its a pain having to do this.
Check out the support on the Google website, there may be something to help you there.
Regards, Al

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Have you considered adding the Gmail account info to the Apple Mail program? I don't think I experience the same problems checking Gmail that way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP i7 mid 2012 macOS 10.12
It's no real surprise that the Gmail app tries to plug Chrome, since that is Google's browser. I'd suggest going with Slydude's advice and adding your Gmail account to the native Mail app.

Reaction score
limit your emails

You need to limit your emails to 102kbs or below – cut them down if necessary. It’s important to note that Gmail only looks at the HTML file size and since your images are not technically part of the code, they don’t count towards that.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Yep, I agree, since you have the native Mail app anyway. It's very easy to add a single account. User email address and password is all that's required an you get offline access to your emails as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac Forums

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2012 21.5" iMac. and a Mini iPad 2.
Yep, I agree, since you have the native Mail app anyway. It's very easy to add a single account. User email address and password is all that's required an you get offline access to your emails as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac Forums

Like Rod ^^ I use the native Mail app. with no problems. I have two accounts including a Gmail one and both work just fine.

John. ��

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2014 Mac Mini (Base Model, High Sierra); iPad 2018 (Latest iOS); iPhone 7 (Latest iOS)
Like Rod ^^ I use the native Mail app. with no problems. I have two accounts including a Gmail one and both work just fine.

John. ��

+1. I've the native Mail app with two gmail accounts and two other accounts, and it works fine, no huhu.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Despite what I said re using the native mail app it is just a work around after all and I can imagine you may want to keep the rather cool mail sorting features that come with the Google Mail app.
So one possible solution occurs to me. I just opened the app on my iPhone and checked out an email with over 40 lines of text and it scrolls to the bottom no problems.
So try deleting the app and reloading it. Hold your finger on the app till it wiggles, tap the X to delete then go to the App Store and download again.
It's also a good idea to shut down your iPad and restart occasionally you would be surprised at how many problems that simple action can fix.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5in iMac
I've used the gmail app in preference to the native Apple app for many years and have not experienced any problems with large emails. The Safari/Chrome query is easy to sort.

Open the gmail app. Go to settings (click three lines in top left corner, scroll down to settings and then select "Google Apps". Turn off "Ask me which app to use every time".

Hope this helps!

Reaction score
I just opened the app on my iPhone and checked out an email with over 40 lines of text and it scrolls to the bottom no problems.
So try deleting the app and reloading it.

I have the same two problems as the OP. John T's suggestion fixed one. The other remains after your suggestion. I get the NY Times "Today's Headlines" every morning, and before this latest change, no problem. Since the change, the last 1/4 of the email is cut off with no way to get it back.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.