How to close iTunes without force quit

M

MacInWin

Welcome to the forum.

I'm going to take a guess here because your thread title and comment don't seem to match and you haven't provided any information about your system, but I bet that iTunes is in full screen mode. If that's the case, move the mouse up to the top of the screen and the bars will appear. Click on the green dot and iTunes will exit full screen mode, be in a smaller window and the top menu bar will reappear.

If that's not it, you'll need to provide us a bunch more information before we can help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP i7 mid 2012 macOS 10.12
Alternatively, and using similar guesswork on the OS, swipe left or right on the trackpad and you'll be back to your desktop. Swipe back to return to iTunes.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
And if Jake and Kevin are right, you could simply hit the Esc key to exit full screen, reveal the Menu bar, and quit normally.

Or, even in Full Screen mode (or normal screen), right click the iTunes icon in the Dock and click on Quit.

Or, use Command + Q, and iTunes will quit.

Ian

OP
K
Reaction score
Thank you to all three of you who graciously responded. I truly am that much of a novice that I needed your help.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
That's a very nice "thank you", Karen. Much appreciated.

We like "novices" and all others with a problem. Please visit us often.

Ian

M

MacInWin

Thank you, Karen. Come back again. Visit often, it's a nice place to just read things about Macs.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Another handy one is Command + Tab. This will show you icons of all active applications. Take your finger off the Tab key while keeping the Command key depressed, hover your cursor over any app (it will darken) and hit Q.
Command +Q is not force quit, it is the standard keyboard command to quit any app. Force Quit can be found under the Apple menu and is usually reserved for frozen or unresponsive apps.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac Forums

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.