iPhone 5S - Erratic Touchscreen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 4GB RAM, 256MB nVidia Graphics, 250 HDD
Well, coming from my Kernel Panic on my MacBook now I've got an added problem (because disasters cannot come alone, do they?): my iPhone 5S' touchscreen keeps getting messed up after a while of being used.

The touchscreen goes berserk, random clicking everywhere (and is even worse if I attempt to tap something) and it only stops when I lock the phone. But it only goes away for a bit (sometimes for less than a minute) before it starts doing the same thing again.

My current firmware is 10.1.1 and I can't even recall what updates I did or did not before the touchscreen became like this.

Some days it calms down for a while (I can measure it because I play Vainglory and I can rarely get through a couple 10-minutes games without trouble), but most of the time it won't even allow me to write on WhatsApp as soon as I unblock it. :\

No Genius Bars, no Apple Support, no refunds, no nothing... I don't live in the States, this is all brought up to me and I have to deal with it as I can when it gets possessed! So please, if anybody knows the issue or has some options that aren't "restoring" (which I already did), it would be cool.

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you've already tried a restore and it didn't solve the touchscreen errors, it's likely a hardware defect. Are there any repair or service facilities in your area where cell phones can be taken in for repair? It's possible your 5s needs a new screen or digitizer. You're probably going to wind up having to pay for repairs unless you can do them yourself and are able to obtain the parts.

OP
MacLovin85
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 4GB RAM, 256MB nVidia Graphics, 250 HDD
If you've already tried a restore and it didn't solve the touchscreen errors, it's likely a hardware defect. Are there any repair or service facilities in your area where cell phones can be taken in for repair? It's possible your 5s needs a new screen or digitizer. You're probably going to wind up having to pay for repairs unless you can do them yourself and are able to obtain the parts.

Hopefully is a hardware defect! I can actually order a new touchscreen and have it slapped on by some trusty hands. But, it would be the second time this phone gets this particular repair done.

Guess it would have helped to mention that the screen died before (my nephew crashed it) and I had to repair it. It's been like 6 months since that and now this...

I've never seen a repaired iPhone who's the same again after this, more often than not they just keep getting touch problems until the day you dump them. I'm almost afraid this will happen to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Guess it would have helped to mention that the screen died before (my nephew crashed it) and I had to repair it. It's been like 6 months since that and now this....

That's your answer - I would say the screen was not properly installed. I smashed my 5s screen, took it to a local repair shop and they fitted THREE new screens before it would work properly. No problems since.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.