• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Can play .mts file on new MacBook but not old one. Why?

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I recently started using a Canon Vixia HF R700 camcorder and when I play the AVCHD (.mts) files from my SD card reader on my 2015 Macbook Pro (OS X El Capitain v10.11.16), I'm able to do so automatically with Quicktime (I have VLC media player installed, if that makes any difference). However, when I try to play it with my 2009 Macbook Pro (OS X v 10.6.8; 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; 4 GB 1067 MHZ DDR3 ram), I get a message saying I can't play the file type. I also have VLC media player installed on this older laptop.

What exactly is the explanation for this? Is it because the operating system is different? Is there software specifically in the new macbooks that allow me to play .mts files automatically? Or is it the combination of new operating system and VLC media player on my newer laptop that allows me to play the file?

Is there anything I can do with my old laptop to allow it to play .mts files?

Your help would be really appreciated!

Thanks!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Under Snow Leopard playing that type of file generally required the MPEG-2 Playback Component. I used to use MPEG Streamclip for these files but it requires that component as well. I think the component is still buried on the Apple set. you can find more information at the MPEG Streamclip site.

You might give Handbrake a try. I think it can convert this type of file without having the MPEG Playback Component installed. With that installed you can convert the .mts file to something that can be more easily edited / shared. I use it regularly. There is a version on the site for 10.6.

Edit: Recent incarnations of OS X have not needed that component.

Last edited:

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Not because the OS is different so much as because it's ancient.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac Forums

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
OP
F
Reaction score
Thank you, all of you (harryb2448, ferrarr, Slydude, Rod Sprague, MightyGem), for all your quick and helpful responses!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.