Stickies not staying deleted after log out

A

Aussie

I don't really believe it either but it keeps happening so I need to ask.
When user is switched between myself and son and I then switch back to me my old stickies come back despite them having been "not saved", collapsed etc and new ones written.

I have used them for years so I consider I know what I'm doing with them. I know to click the corner in order to discard them , I have deleted the text on them and written new text but it still keeps happening, it is potentially serious as I have appointments on them and invoice numbers, I nearly paid an invoice using an old number and it took awhile to realise I was looking at several out of date appointments. The other thing that happens is my default setting for Firefox is always lost during the same switch process and it defaults to Safari.

I had my son log me out properly this afternoon rather than switch user but same thing happened. I have now highlighted and deleted the text on each old note and re imported my current notes. Don't know if it will make any difference.

I have to keep the current ones in a folder so I can Import them every time after I am logged out and log back in.

I have no answers other than could it be the behaviour of poor old aging mac mini 10.7. Computer alzheimers. :Confused:

OP
A

Aussie

Yes I know 10.7 is the OS. Didn't think of year of mini. It's mid 2007 and 10.7 is , to my understanding, the highest OS it can go to. Sometimes I think I'm asking too much of it to keep behaving. I expect glitches in browser operation and they certainly happen but didn't expect stickies to play up. Forgot about doing those resets. When i googled the problem I'm having with stickies no-one else seemed to report such a phenomenon and so didn't stir my memory to resets. I'll give it a try and report back.

OP
A

Aussie

Have done the NVRAM, hoped against hope but no change, the out-of-date stickies reappeared and Safari became default browser again instead of Firefox.. this annoys me only to the extent that I forget to immediately correct it so when clicking a link Safari opens up , it doesn't cope as well as FF. Up to me to remember, better still to move on it's just that I can cope with just about everything except the Stickies problem. Very occasionally the computer might freeze but I know how to Quit through Activity Monitor. I have often been grateful to advice I read somewhere about putting Activity Monitor in the dock.. brilliant. But I digress.. will probably try the SMC tomorrow but I doubt it will change anything. Thanks for suggestions anyway

OP
A

Aussie

Hi Ferrarr, one more step at a time, today after bit more reading I located stickiesdatabase in the hidden library and although there is computer jargon I can also clearly see the list and text of my stickies and they are the previous ones.. For some reason the new ones never imprinted onto the database and so I guess after a restart or login it will always show what it believes to be the last notes written.
The cursor did come alive on the document but before I tried to delete the old notes I thought I would get back to you for comment.
Don't want to make things worse.
At this stage I won't reset the SMC, I don't think it will help and I am becoming tired of deleting the old notes and restoring the new ones and resetting Firefox.

OP
A

Aussie

Can't be sure but I've tried something and for now it's working. The stickiesdatabase didn't seem a particularly important file ( I copied it just incase) so I trashed it. Then restored my current notes to desktop, quit stickies, reopened them and the current ones came up. Looked in Library at the database file and it showed the new ones. Can't believe it just yet. Knowing how to find hidden library was important. I had actually dragged it to Finder but it was lost during restart so did it again. Then more reading on forums gave me bits of info I could use about where the database was and that it seemed not to be an integral part of the computer system which gave the courage to trash it. i tried a couple of other things first like deleting the text on the database and so forth but ran into trouble with it not being able to be saved and whatever. Now just need to see what happens over a bit more time. For now it's progress. Don't know why the setting for Firefox as default browser doesn't hold when logged out then back in or why the icon in dock says Firefox 45 when it is 48 but that corrects itself somehow, perhaps when I reset FF as default. The other strange thing is when I arrow back to my home page it always goes back to an old page 2 or 3 days prior to current date, if I click it on Bookmarks i get the current date. I can put up with these things more than old stickies popping up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Good job tracking the solution down. Glad you got it working.

I have never been a big user of stickies, if I use them, I deleted them when done, I use Notes.app instead.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.