2-Factor gone haywire?

Reaction score
I have activated 2-Factor Authentication awhile ago. Sometime after reading the article about Mat Honan getting hacked.

It played nicely and I didn't have any problems.

Yesterday I suddenly got a message that I had to create a new appleid password since there were too many attempts on my id. Awkward since I hadn't entered it for a few days. Well, I went about that process and things got messy. I ended up creating a new password, updating that on several devices, only to get forced to create yet a new one since I forgot about app-specific passwords. What an awful loop to get caught up in.

Now I basically got things figured out, but I can't connect some apps to iCloud. I am stuck on Contacts. It won't accept any app-specific passwords. It won't accept my appleid password. I am sweating every time I enter a password that I am going to get forced to choose yet another password. I am running out of creativity (I do use 1Password though).

Anyone know if 2FA is not working properly right now?

I did read the recent post linking to an article about 2FA.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I personally have avoided the Apple 2FA simply because it's flawed and cumbersome to use. As you found out, when something goes wrong you can easily be locked out of your devices or apps and getting things straight again can be a nightmare. You might have to contact Apple directly about your Apple ID password to make sure that it's been set correctly. You shouldn't have to change it that many times.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.