Documents in the Cloud...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2014 Mac Mini (Base Model, High Sierra); iPad 2018 (Latest iOS); iPhone 7 (Latest iOS)
A bit of a ramble so bear with me.

First of all, I should note that I'm a university teacher. I'm a Pages and Numbers user mostly. I have Word and Excel, and use them for documents I MUST share, but in general, I use Pages and Numbers and turn most things into PDFs if they're not just for my consumption. I only started with a Mac in 2015 February 2015, so, not new but newish.

Recently, there have been times I've wanted certain documents from home, and of course, if I forget to put them on the iPad, they're not there. I do use iCloud for many documents for work, but not everything, of course; in general, when I notice I need it, I upload it, otherwise, I don't, which is of course the problem.

Now, looking at Documents in the Cloud, and how it separates things by app in iCloud, I wonder how much a hassle it is to change one's folder habits to fit the new paradigm (for me new, anyway)? What I mean is, like many old Windows users, I stuck everything on a topic in a folder dedicated to that topic. So, if I had a bunch of files about a class I was teaching (PDFs, Pages docs, Excel charts, whatever). They'd all be in one folder.
A little bit now, I'm finding myself not doing that. For example, I now seem to keep all sort of picture files in the Pictures folder, and not in the separate folders they could be. Videos or movies I use for my classes now stay in their own folder, and don't migrate to the class folders like they used to.
Documents is where I haven't had this same drift. All my grading Excel or Numbers files are in the same folder as my class syllabi and some of the PDFs I use.

So, A bunch of questions:

1. Does Documents in the Cloud work in the way that I leave my documents where they are in my Mac, but they appear as an inglorious blob of documents on the iPad? Or do they come with folders of their own under Pages in iCloud (and thus the same on the iPad)?

2. If not, then, I imagine, to make things fit, you would need to separate your documents (Pages, Numbers, PDFs for Preview) into separate folders, and then upload them that way into iCloud under their respective apps? So, all my Pages files of, say, a particular class would be in one folder, and for another class, in another folder, for example?

3. Has anybody changed your workflow to fit the new iCloud paradigm for Documents in the Cloud as I described above? How does it work, not putting everything into one folder for each "topic", but instead, splitting them by type?

That's long, but that's the gist of it. Of course, I wouldn't use this for everything; I've no intention of buying my iCloud space, but for Pages and Numbers documents, it'd be really nice, sometimes, to just have them available on my iPad to work on, and have them sync up on iCloud, and be able to open my Mac later and keep working on it. But how to organize it visually? How to make sure I don't miss stuff?

Thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
1. & 2. Once enabled there's an iCloud Drive folder in the sidebar in Finder and an iCloud Drive app on the iPad. These have folders within them per application (pages, numbers, keynote etc).

As soon as you edit a document in Pages on the Mac it's available on the iPad so you can pick up from where you left off.

You can create folders within the Pages folder in iCloud drive.

What I'd suggest you do is enable iCloud drive on both Mac and iPad and give it a go. There's nothing to lose. Once you've tried it you should be able to post back with any particular questions etc

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2014 Mac Mini (Base Model, High Sierra); iPad 2018 (Latest iOS); iPhone 7 (Latest iOS)
1. & 2. Once enabled there's an iCloud Drive folder in the sidebar in Finder and an iCloud Drive app on the iPad. These have folders within them per application (pages, numbers, keynote etc).

As soon as you edit a document in Pages on the Mac it's available on the iPad so you can pick up from where you left off.

You can create folders within the Pages folder in iCloud drive.

What I'd suggest you do is enable iCloud drive on both Mac and iPad and give it a go. There's nothing to lose. Once you've tried it you should be able to post back with any particular questions etc

Yeah, that I know, and do already. I think. I mean, I open files from iCloud on my Mac, makes changes to them, and those files save in iCloud.

What I was wondering about, is has anyone reorganized their desktop documents to match the style things are arranged in on the iPad (i.e., did they arrange their desktop files into Pages, Numbers, Keynote, and Preview (PDFs), and then link those files to iCloud so that they'd be available everywhere. Entirely possible I'm not being clear (or, not understanding deeply how iCloud organizes things, and how things would be organized if I fully activated Documents and Desktop in the Cloud.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Fully activating Desktop and Documents moves those folders to iCloud Drive. Which means they will use up storage space for iCloud, so if you only have the 5gb of iCloud, you may go over the limit. Everybody organizes files to suit their needs, I'm sure some people have changed the way they used to save files to work with iCloud, but I wouldn't go through that, unless I didn't have a lot of files to organize. You can just move the folders you want on iCloud Drive into the iCloud Drive folder on your Mac, then they will still be available through iCloud. Or, create a new folder in iCloud Drive and move your documents into that folder.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Fully activating Desktop and Documents moves those folders to iCloud Drive. Which means they will use up storage space for iCloud, so if you only have the 5gb of iCloud, you may go over the limit. Everybody organizes files to suit their needs, I'm sure some people have changed the way they used to save files to work with iCloud, but I wouldn't go through that, unless I didn't have a lot of files to organize. You can just move the folders you want on iCloud Drive into the iCloud Drive folder on your Mac, then they will still be available through iCloud. Or, create a new folder in iCloud Drive and move your documents into that folder.

Yeah, something like that probably. I've no intention of buying storage just yet, but there are times it's getting inconvenient to trussel everything between devices as I go about my day (and if I forget something at home, I'm screwed!).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Well, they do make devices that will connect to iPhones/iPads for additional storage.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.