Picture resizing, is this really the future?

Reaction score
In past, I plugged my camera into the Mac. It showed up on the desktop as another drive. I opened it, I imported pictures, DONE DEAL.
I got an iPhone, takes great pictures. I plug it in and Image Capture opens. I can import images, which will open in Preview. Images are huge, but I can edit them directly in Preview, just a bit more trouble.
Now, I plug in the iPhone and Photos opens. Great, I can import everything from my phone. BUT, if I want to use it, share it, I must make it a usable size. Can't do this in Photo, so I must export it, find the file by whatever name Photo chose to give it, open it in Preview, and resize it there, save it with a real name. Is this progress?
I chose Apple because they made things easier. Please tell me this isn't the "future."

OP
A
Reaction score
****, in the dark ages I set my Mac to open all this stuff in Photo Shop and everything was cool. Once again, is this "progress"?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Photos seems to have little ability to do that unless I missed something. This technique might help. Which OS X version are you using? Some Automator services need to be modified to work with the newest OS. I haven't tested that service with the new OS yet.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
AudioApe, Hi

You can use Photos.

In Photos, select your picture(s), then File > Share. This opens a dropdown menu which includes Mail, Facebook, Twitter, AirDrop and so on. Resizing is either automatic or you can adjust it as part of the Share function.

Would this help?

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
AudioApe - you are really going round the houses. Do as Ian says (and use PhotoStream to share images with your Mac instead of cables). The only time I manually change a size is if I want to upload a photo to a forum like this. Then I use Export and select it from the Desktop.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
In past, I plugged my camera into the Mac. It showed up on the desktop as another drive. I opened it, I imported pictures, DONE DEAL.

Can't do this in Photo, so I must export it, find the file by whatever name Photo chose to give it, open it in Preview, and resize it there, save it with a real name. Is this progress?
I chose Apple because they made things easier. Please tell me this isn't the "future."

Well...if we REALLY want to talk about the past/future.:)

- How would you like to be using a film camera...when you were finished taking photos on the roll of film...you had to get into your car...and drive to the nearest store that did film processing.
- Then wait a week for your photos to be processed (or pay extra $$$ for 24 hour processing).
- Get into your car again to pick up the photos.
- Pay for them.
- Open up the envelop with the photos...just to learn that 1/3rd of them your thumb was over the camera lens, a second 3rd were all blurry, and the last 3rd were too dark.

Now you just spent about $10-$20 dollars for a set of 36 photos crappy photos from your friends birthday party, friends wedding, Christmas, etc. Waisted a bunch of time dropping them off, waiting a week to get them back, and driving your car to pick them up. And of course you have no decent photos of the event to remember things from.

I know...I know. Maybe going back in time a bit too far.;) But honestly...digital photograpy is SOOOO much less of a hassle. Digital photography can have some hassles too. But believe me...nothing like it was back in the film camera days before digital photography.:)

Good luck,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
I ant my floppy drive back and my original 128MB hard drive!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Well...if we REALLY want to talk about the past/future.:)

- How would you like to be using a film camera...when you were finished taking photos on the roll of film...you had to get into your car...and drive to the nearest store that did film processing.

- Nick

Not forgetting to use up the last ten or so frames on the dog/cat/kids because you wanted to get the film finished. :|

OP
A
Reaction score
Actually, I process my own negatives and prints.
Thanks, but if all I wish to do is share the image I can do that directly from the phone.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.