What to use instead of VMWare Workstation?

Reaction score
I used VMWare Workstation quite a bit on my PC. Any thoughts here as to what would replace it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
I use both, and much prefer VB. There are, however, some limitations - e.g. Mercedes database won't run on VB (that's the reason I have both VMWare Fusion and VB).

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
On the Mac you have three choices, Virtualbox (free), VMWare Fusion ($80) and Parallels ($80). For most things, Virtualbox is a great option, especially if you want to run Linux for example. That way your entire virtualization environment is free. You can also use VB for running Windows a large number of applications.

If your needs go more toward gaming or CAD software, then Parallels is better suited for that with their superior graphics implementation. If you are looking for pure performance for computing, then VMWare Fusion fits that bill well.

The advantage that VMWare Fusion and Parallels have over VB is that they try to utilize all of the features (from UI to performance) of the Mac and macOS. VB on the other hand tries to be more generic with their support for macOS, Windows and Linux.

Finally, if you need to plug any USB devices to the VM, then you are much better of sticking with VMWare Fusion or Parallels since VB's support for USB devices is very hit-or-miss.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I agree with Jake that Parallels is probably the better all around choice especially for its implementation of graphics. The only drawback to using Parallels is their expensive upgrades which they seem to come out with sometimes as often as twice a year.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.