Apple Security

Reaction score
I just purchased a Mac and an iPad pro. Got home and found notification from Norton Security that my software had been renewed. Do I need their product for Apple and is there a recommended security product for Apple products???

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP i7 mid 2012 macOS 10.12
You do not need antivirus software for Apple products, particularly Norton.

You need Malwarebytes and OnyX for the Mac. Download ONLY from the developers own websites.

You don't need anything at all for the iPad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To add to the above, you also need your own common sense. Most malware relies on social engineering to extract your hard earned cash from you. So, if you ever experience a screen lockup with a "tech support" number to call, DO NOT CALL IT. Have a look at existing threads for answers which have already been supplied on this particular subject.

Don't use aggregator sites to download apps. They are rife with malware. Use only the App Store and the developer's own site. If Gatekeeper won't let you install a particular app get in touch with this forum. You'll soon get some good advice.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
That's the first I've heard of that product but it appears to be similar to some others that have been on the market. I'm skeptical of this product because the article reads more like a press release / ad than a serious discussion of the software. The tone of the article almost made me wonder if the author had a financial connection to the software.

I'm especially skeptical of the scan time. It seems to me that a legit scan of all the things this claims to check would take longer than suggested in the article.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks to all who responded, I am going to try and find OnyX for the Mac and download.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OnyX is OS version specific. Make sure you get the correct version for your OS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Did you remove Nortons and ScanGuard as suggested?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.