Insert chip/tracker in iPhone 6?

Reaction score
Dear Mac experts,

Do anyone know about or have tried to insert a chip in an iphone, so that you can track it if its stolen? I have had my iPhone stolen a couple of times, and Find My iPhone isnt much help when the device is turned off?

Hope you can help.

Sincerely,

The (hopeful) Dane

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Wouldn't the chip shut off when the phone is shut off?

OP
T
Reaction score
Hmm.. I am looking for something that is not dependent on the iphone. Trackers like the ones from thetrackr.com which send out a signal, e.g. bluetooth. However, the ones from thetrackr.com are coin-sized and therefore too big :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
The device will need to power itself if it is not dependent on the phone. Batteries are only so small.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have had my iPhone stolen a couple of times, and Find My iPhone isnt much help when the device is turned off?

I don't know if you've just been unlucky or leave your phone unattended? Nowadays, thieves know all about "Find my iPhone" and how to defeat it. What they can't defeat is locking the imei number with your carrier. Of course then the thief will sell the imei locked phone to some unsuspecting buyer. Make sure you have good insurance and keep a closer watch on your phones. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP i7 mid 2012 macOS 10.12
I suspect that most stolen iPhones end up on Kijiji or Craigslist or the like, and are only switched on so that the thief can show the purchaser that they work.

This is followed by a forum thread "How do I use iCloud locked phone?"

Then the next level of scammers get involved. "You come my website. Unlock software very cheap."

Seems never ending.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I've read thru literally dozens of forum threads in other forums about folks buying an iPhone from Craig's list or from some other advertisement only to find out later the phone had been stolen. Once the imei is blacklisted, the phone is worthless. If the price and/or deal is too good to be true, avoid it like the plague.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP i7 mid 2012 macOS 10.12
I've read thru literally dozens of forum threads in other forums about folks buying an iPhone from Craig's list or from some other advertisement only to find out later the phone had been stolen. Once the imei is blacklisted, the phone is worthless. If the price and/or deal is too good to be true, avoid it like the plague.

On one level, that's absolutely true. A blacklisted phone is just a paperweight.

Unfortunately, on another, it's absolutely untrue. I wish your last paragraph could be pinned to the forehead of everyone who gets burned as a result of believing that iCloud lock can be circumvented. It can't.

The stolen, blacklisted, locked phone DOES have value. Once the thief has it in his hands, he only has to find a gullible or uninformed mark and he is several hundred dollars better off.

It's at about this point that the uninformed new owner hunts down forums and learns, too late, that they just got ripped off. And now the phone IS worthless, because people who fall for the scam are not the kind who will simply readvertise it and pass on their error.

We are conditioned to believe that crime doesn't pay, and it's comforting to believe that. Unfortunately, that isn't true either.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for the answer. I did check the Danish versions of craigslist unsuccessfully though. Looking forward to a ultra thin battery that can somehow fit in a tracker and iphone.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.