Downloading OpenOffice

Reaction score
I use an iMac 10.10.5 and want to download Open Office For Mac.
It gives me a message “OpenOffice can’t be opened because it is from an unidentified developer.
Your security preferences allow installation of only apps from the Mac App Store and identified developers.”
Is there a way to install it without jeopardizing my security?
Thanks
Barbara

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The warning you received is generated by "Gatekeeper" which prevents users from opening and possibly installing malware. Open Office is safe, however, and can be installed. Just right click on the image file you downloaded and select "open". You will receive another warning from "Gatekeeper" which you can ignore and again select open.

And welcome to our forums.

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi,
Thanks for answering. I did what you said but get the same answer and then nothing happens. I'm leery about changing my settings. I at a loss.
Thanks
Barbara

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks for answering. I did what you said but get the same answer and then nothing happens. I'm leery about changing my settings. I at a loss.

What chscag said is absolutely correct. Just right-click on the downloaded file...and choose "open". This has worked every single time I've needed to do it.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Good deal. Glad it worked.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.