• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

I'm switching, to Windows 10!

Reaction score
I stopped using Apple mobile devices years ago because they are overpriced, inflexible, and do not have options such as MicroSD card slots. But I still use my 2012 15" Macbook Pro Retina on a daily basis, and have a 2016 iMac. I was waiting for the new Macbook Pro to be released, and what a disappointment it is! They have 4 USB-C ports, and that's it! No SD card slot. No HDMI port. No USB 3 port. No RJ-45 jack. I literally have zero devices I could connect to a new Macbook without adapters! And of course, the one I would want is a whopping $2,700. I was hoping they might introduce a less expensive 1080p model, but that didn't happen.

Fed up with Apple, I just ordered an HP Envy 15 with Windows 10 Pro. It has all of the aforementioned ports that the Macbook Pro does not have. It has 7th generation core i7 processors, 512GB SSD drive, 16 GB of RAM, backlit keyboard, and you have a choice of 1k up to 4k displays. I settled on the 1080p display because I don't need or want 4k. All this for only $1,099! I'm going to add $500 to my kids college fund, and still save over $1,000.

I am disappointed with my new iMac as well. It has Core i5 processors, 1 TB fusion drive with 28GB SSD -- And it's a dog! Except for the MacOS components which are on the SSD drive, other apps run slowly. So I have a slow computer that I paid $1,500 for. I'm going to trade it in on a Windows 10 PC with i7 processors and a large SSD drive, and 12-16 GB of RAM.

This will be the last time I vent about Apple -- Good riddance!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Good luck with your HP Envy 15 and Windows 10. You might want to join our sister forums at "Windows Secrets".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Rather than trading it in on a PC with an SSD, suggest you look at a model than has 1TB Flash Storage. I think in two to three years SSD will be redundant, and Flash will make your PC more future proof.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Do what you gotta do zBernie.:)

FYI. Using Apple products is not just about the hardware...it's about the OS, ease of use, reliability, and stability. What's the point of having all the hardware you mentioned (No SD card slot. No HDMI port. No USB 3 port. No RJ-45 jack)...if the system could be harder to use, could be less stable, could be less reliable.

Live long & prosper,

- Nick

Reaction score
FYI. Using Apple products is not just about the hardware...it's about the OS, ease of use, reliability, and stability.

It's much more than that. The other day my son and I were doing some shopping for computer peripherals. We realized that just about all of the computer stores that used to exist had gone out of business. Where do you go when you need service and support for your Windows PC? Best Buy? Best Buy has the worst service I've ever seen. It took them a month to give me a quote on fixing my wife's PC, and then the repair took another three months!

Apple has brick and mortar stores in every major population center. They have phone repair service that sets records for speed via overnight pickup and delivery. They are constantly winning awards for customer satisfaction from Consumer Reports and JD Power.

So, to avoid purchasing a few $3 and $4 adapters you want to switch to a POS Windows PC? Good luck to you.

Oh, by the way, for those of you who say that the Microsoft Surface is a much more attractive option than a Mac laptop, sales data collected by research firm Slice shows that in just a few weeks, the MacBook Pro has sold many times better than any other laptop released this year.

18950-18610-Recent-Laptop-Launches.jpg

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid 2009 white MacBook 2.13/4gb, mid 2010 MacBook A1342, iPhone 5, iPad 2
I had many windows laptops, in fact i still have one that i use for weather radar since GR level 3 will not run on mac os. I soon will be getting rid of that laptop as well since i figured out how to make radar scope weather radar and baron threat net radar do the same thing as gr level 3 radar for storm chasing. I have always had horrible issues with any computer running any version of windows after windows xp. windows vista sucked, windows 8 and 8.1 sucked even more and windows 10 is a timebomb just waiting to pop. When windows vista came out, i bought a new hp laptop.... took it to the starbucks and tried sending an email to a few of my storm chase team members, it was a 300 word email.... just finished typing it out and went to send it and i got the lovely message internet explorer has a problem and has to close. it proceeded to do that 3 more times. the next day more of the same with that pile of garbage. my friend was at the starbucks with a MacBook that had a 1.83 core duo processor that he let me use to send my email, think it was running tiger or leopard at that time.... there was absolutely no issue sending my email out. ended up buying that MacBook from him and still have it till today. don't use it much, but planning on giving it to a friend of mine for his first laptop after i install the latest version of os x it can run which i think is snow leopard. I tried windows 7 it was ok, but still sucky windows 8 and 8.1 were awful and windows 10 i tried in a store and said to my friend what a joke microsoft came out with.... the display model of an hp elitebook crashed 3 times... i will never use another microsoft product ever. Apple just works and Apple is the best

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
ZBernie, all I can say is set a reminder to get back to us in two years.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac Forums

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.