iPhone 5c iOS 10 roll back?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 inch iMac - Ventura. iPhones 8 and MacBook Air - Catalina.
Hi, I have an eleven month old iPhone 5c and after days and days of nag screens re iOS10 I decided to go for it! Now I wish I had not because I do not like iOS 10 one little bit and much prefer the familiar iOS 9. My phone is a completely different animal, I cannot get my head round it at all. Is there any way I can "Roll Back" to iOS9, or must I try to teach my mind to accept it and that yet again I have succumbed to not so gentle persuasion in the form of continued NAGGING from the Apple who seem to think they know what is best for me.

Very best regards from Keith in Derby England.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There is no easy way to roll back your iPhone 5c as iOS 9.X is no longer being signed by Apple. Even if you were to reset it, it would still install iOS 10. Everyone has different tastes and I realize we all have a certain amount of resistance to change, but without jail breaking your 5c, you'll just have to try to get used to the new iOS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP i7 mid 2012 macOS 10.12
There is currently no jailbreak for iOS 10, and no way of predicting when there may be one.

In this case, a jailbreak would not solve the OPs problem because the phone would still be running iOS 10, but a jailbroken version of it.

Jailbreaking one iOS version does not mean you are free to roll back to a previous version. Neither does it mean that you can install a version that was never available for that phone.

In fact, pretty much all that jailbreaking will do is allow apps to be sourced from locations other than the App Store, and allow tweaks to the OS. It's possible that someone could write an iOS 9 emulator, but that could be a long time in coming.

OP
sllewk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi, thanks to chscag and KevinJS for your replies. You both confirm my suspicions on this one, it is a matter of training the mind to accept the fact. Will have to work on the old brainbox!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
My mind - or fingers - still haven't adapted to the new way of unlocking my 5s. I thought I'd got it but I haven't and I hate it. So unrelieable. I've now updated my iPad mini and unlocking that is a pain as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The 5 and 5c and some iPads are in a peculiar position as far as iOS 10 is concerned, lacking the fingerprint sensor. For users without this feature, opening the device will never be as smooth a process as it is for those who have it.

The shock of losing "Slide to Unlock" can partially be solved by turning on "Rest Finger To Open" in Settings/General/Accessibility, and for those who are worried about overuse of the home button leading to early failure, the software home button can be set up in Accessibility/Assistive Touch. As a bonus, those who have difficulty taking screenshots can set up AssistiveTouch to do it in Settings/General/Accessibility/AssistiveTouch/Customize Top Level Menu.

Once that is set up, the Home Button rarely, if ever, needs to be used.

Sue...If your fingerprint sensor is unreliable (I'm assuming this is the source of your issue) you can reregister it. I've heard of people finding the first attempt at registration to be unreliable. Setting it up again can solve the problem.

OP
sllewk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi, I have just got back home after visiting my local Apple shop. Evidently once you have updated your iPhone to iOS10 there is no going back you are stuck with it end of story.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi, I have just got back home after visiting my local Apple shop. Evidently once you have updated your iPhone to iOS10 there is no going back you are stuck with it end of story.

That would certainly be Apple's official stance. As far as they are concerned, the latest is the greatest, and they can't understand why anyone would not want it. Unfortunately, iOS 10 was written with the iPhone 7 firmly in mind, and those of us with older equipment are being dragged along for the ride. I find iOS 10 to be an OK OS for my 5s, but I can see that 5 and 5c owners would not see all of the benefits.

Since jailbreaking has been mentioned: A friend of mine used to take great pleasure in jailbreaking iPhones on display in the Apple Store. I believe this was back in the day of the 3GS which could be jailbroken without a computer. He would then show the Apple staff the Cydia app and ask how he could get it on his iPhone. The reaction was apparently quite amusing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Sue...If your fingerprint sensor is unreliable (I'm assuming this is the source of your issue) you can reregister it. I've heard of people finding the first attempt at registration to be unreliable. Setting it up again can solve the problem.

OK will have another go. It was fine and has now gone to rat****. Added frustration is that you have to remember to use the same finger!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@Sue:

Instead of registering just one finger, go ahead and try to register several on both hands. The 5s fingerprint sensor and even the one on the 6 and 6+ are somewhat flaky. My wife's 6s+ has a much better fingerprint sensor than my 6+. It took me several frustrating sequences of trying to get it to work on my 6+.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can you do that? I never thought of that. Watch this space!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can you do that? I never thought of that. Watch this space!

Yes. I believe you can register up to 6, not necessarily all belonging to one person.

M

MacInWin

Another trick is to register the same finger twice. The two registrations may end up slightly differently, but as long as the iPhone gets a satisfactory read on one or the other, it will unlock. I have two fingers each registered twice on mine and it works pretty reliably.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.