• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

DVD storage and playback

Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking to store a couple hundred home videos onto a hard drive in order to store them away to save space and be able to watch on my tv and I am unsure of the best way to acheive what I'd like to do. I would like to store them in such a way that they can be browsed through on the tv, selected and played on the tv.

I have an iMac running Mountain lion, an iPad, iPhone, Apple tv, a samsung non smart tv, a PS3 and an xBox 360.

I know I can store them onto iTunes and with home sharing, watch them through the apple tv, but I don't want to have the Mac on each time I want to watch a video reducing it's lifespan.
Is there a way I can use a NAS drive, something like the western digital my cloud (which fits my budget!) through any of my devices in order to select and watch through my tv?

Thank you
Matt

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I know you can connect a regular external drive to the xBox 360 and play them through the xBox onto the tv, as I do that here. You just need the files in .m4v format. And the drive should be formatted FAT, which means no single file size larger than 4GB, I don't know if the xBox 360 will accept exFAT formatted drives.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks Bob,
Unfortunately there will be quite a few over 4gb.
I have managed to find out that WD my cloud drives use an app called Plex Media Server, although some info suggests that Plex can only be used with mirror or pro drives, but this info is a couple of years old, I'm wondering if the standard my clouds now accept Plex.
Plex sounds like it is ticking my boxes, menu screen, no Mac on during playback etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
but I don't want to have the Mac on each time I want to watch a video reducing it's lifespan.

Then I dare say you may want to just shut it down now and just not use it. ;)

But seriously, computers like to do things and be On, and shutting down and turning them On/Off/On often is often a way to speed up their demise.

BTW: If you have a PVR type recorder/player, I'm told some have the ability to use a connected storage drive with the movies on them. But I do not know the details nor of the movie format needed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.