Macbook Air will not connect to internet

Reaction score

Macbook Air, not connecting to wifi and all other macs, iPhones, PCs are all connecting.

I will select my home connection which has full signal and the icon at the top will just keep blinking trying to connect and it won't :Not-Amused:

I am currently using a hotspot from my phone. It was doing it to me at school today as well but I just thought it was my school's ****ty signal. I have looked at other threads and cannot seem to find my answer. Someone said to go into advance settings delete my network with the minus button and connect like new, didn't work. Someone also said delete them all and try again. Obviously did not work either. Also, restarted my computer, turned wifi on and off still didn't work, tried all the simple silly things.

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

Give us some specs first: Which MacBook Air (year and model); what version of OS X are you running? It would also help to give us the make of your router - modem and what type of encryption you're using?

OP
B
Reaction score
OS X El capitan 10.11.6
it says early 2015 model 13 in.

I am not the greatest with any of this, as you can tell, I am better than my dad at least considering it is his computer lol.
We have an airport extreme router and than the modem is something we got from cablevision.
The encryption is WPA2

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, thanks for the specs. If your MacBook Air connects OK using your iPhone hotspot, that tells us something is not set up correctly between the Air and your AE. Try this: hold down your "option" key on the MacBook Air and click on the WiFi signal at the top of the menu bar and then select "Open Wireless Diagnostics" and follow directions. Let us know what transpires.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks!

So it said we have a crowded network and to restart the router, just did that. Same thing happening on his computer.
Mine connected with no issues.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
There are really only two things that can cause this. One is your software settings and the other is your hardware reception of the wifi signal. So we have discussed your settings and they may still be at fault but we should also consider mechanical problems. For example have you recently dropped the device or had it serviced because the WiFi antenna connection can be dislodged, sometimes quite easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac Forums

OP
B
Reaction score
For example have you recently dropped the device or had it serviced because the WiFi antenna connection can be dislodged, sometimes quite easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac Forums

According to my dad, no it has not been dropped, it just looks like it is trying really hard to connect lol. You know how the line goes up and down as it is connecting normally, except it just doesn't connect.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Did you try the "Assist me" button, in System Preferences > Network?

OP
B
Reaction score
Did you try the "Assist me" button, in System Preferences > Network?

*** yeah I just did that, it basically walked me through the steps, diagnosed itself once again, and now I am connected??
I guess I will never know what the issue was lol.

Thank you to all of you guys.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.