viewing digital magazines on macbook pro

Reaction score
I have many digital magazine subscriptions that I view on my iPad in newsstand. I can still view my existing subscriptions but new ones have to go through other apps. I would like to read them on my macbook pro. How can I do this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Check and see if the new subscriptions are available to subscribe to in "newsstand" format.

There should be something available via the AppStore.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have many digital magazine subscriptions that I view on my iPad in newsstand. I can still view my existing subscriptions but new ones have to go through other apps. I would like to read them on my macbook pro. How can I do this?

Check with Zinio to see if your subscriptions are available from them. I use Zinio for all my digital subscriptions and can read my magazines on my iMac or my iPad and iPhone. Here is the link to Zinio. The Zinio application is free and their subscription prices are actually less expensive than using the outdated Newsstand app.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The only problem with the "News" app is that you can not read your digital subscriptions on your Mac. The Newsstand app was really difficult to use and took forever to download the latest issue. I subscribed to Macworld Mag using Newsstand at first and finally gave up and just read my paper issues. Of course now that Macworld no longer has a paper issue, one has to use some form of an e-reader. For me, Zinio is convenient, fast, and is easy to read on my iPhone, iPad, and Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For me, Zinio is convenient, fast, and is easy to read on my iPhone, iPad, and Mac.

I gather the Zinio subscription is somewhat proprietary with an iOS app and a beta OS X app.

Is that the way most subscriptions work for most macOS/iOS users these days???

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When you subscribe to Macworld they give you a choice of using their proprietary viewing app or use the free Zinio digital reader. However, what Macworld doesn't tell you is that you can subscribe thru Zinio and save money. I also subscribe to MacLife thru Zinio and get a better deal that way. The Zinio iOS app and the one for OS X are free. I'm not exactly keen on reading a magazine on my iPhone but when I'm waiting around in my doctor's office it's easier to read from my iPhone than my iPad which is much larger to carry around.

Many US magazines are now offering digital subscriptions and/or the standard paper copy. The digital subscription is usually much cheaper, sometimes by as much as 35% discounted. Back copies are stored on line rather than on your device.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When you subscribe …

Thanks for the info chscag.

I like my actual Mac|Life hard copy to read even though it costs a bit more, and it was nice to have to read when out on our 23' I/O weekend cruiser boat before we sold it last year.

It's still nice to have for some relaxing pre bedtime reading as if I haven't done enough Mac reading stuff throughout the day!! :\

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.