More Ram

Reaction score
Hi all
I have early 08 imac, 2.4ghz intel core duo
4gb 800 mhrz ddr2 sdram

I only use imac for paying bills on quicken...use ipad rest of time

Just want to make it a bit faster. I tried adding 800 and helped a lot, but would like to purchase a bit more. What kind would i order, and where? (Last time i added ram i asked in a forum and didnt keep info)

Thank you all so much!
Karen

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
What does I tried adding 800 and helped a lot mean? Your iMac is capable of supporting a maximum of 6GB of memory. So assuming you previously added some already to the default 4GB, you likely can't go further.

Click on the Apple logo on the top left and choose About this Mac and tell us what it says.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Max RAM for a Early 2008 iMac is 6gig. With 4gig of RAM installed currently...it probably has 2 x 2gig of RAM. To get 6gig of RAM...one of the 2gig RAM modules would need to be removed and a 4gig module of RAM installed. These 4gig RAM modules are pretty expensive...and may or may not be worth the cost in a Early 2008 iMac. Up to you of course if you want to do this upgrade.

If all you use this iMac for is Quicken bill paying...to me the RAM upgrade wouldn't be worth it. More than likely the slowness is due to it being an 8 year-old computer.

Here are 2 good links for RAM:

- www.macsales.com
- www.crucial.com

HTH,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.