recommendations needed for good compatible printer for MacBookPro

Reaction score
Hi. New to this forum. I need to ditch my Epson Workforce as it's not reacting well to my MBP (Yosemite). This is second Epson Workforce and same problem. Wondered if anyone can recommend a good printer-scanner-copier (under $150) that has separate color cartridges, two-sided printing, keeps printing even if one color finishes, and isn't too slow, with excellent photo printing as well. Too much to ask? I feel confident there's such a printer out there, so would like to hear from you all. Thank you! Karen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
It depends, is this for home use or office use. A "Workforce" makes it sound like it is for a business. Right now I am using an Epson XP-620 Small in one. Had it about10 months and does all the home use stuff. Has individual inks using Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, and two Blacks. I know it prints double sided from my Mac, but my wife can't figure it out on hew Windows 10 Dell. Not sure about the printing if one ink is out, as we replace as needed.

Good luck with your quest. Post back if you find something to meet your requirements, as I am sure a lot of other folks would find it useful.

OP
K
Reaction score
compatible printer for MBP

This is for home use. I'm just fed up with Epson not communicating well with my MBP - not just my present one, but previous one too. Altho I have to say that Epson printing QUALITY is great! Looking for same but not Epson any more. :eek:)

It depends, is this for home use or office use. A "Workforce" makes it sound like it is for a business. Right now I am using an Epson XP-620 Small in one. Had it about10 months and does all the home use stuff. Has individual inks using Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, and two Blacks. I know it prints double sided from my Mac, but my wife can't figure it out on hew Windows 10 Dell. Not sure about the printing if one ink is out, as we replace as needed.

Good luck with your quest. Post back if you find something to meet your requirements, as I am sure a lot of other folks would find it useful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
This is for home use. I'm just fed up with Epson not communicating well with my MBP - not just my present one, but previous one too. Altho I have to say that Epson printing QUALITY is great! Looking for same but not Epson any more. :eek:)

It would be interesting to know what your problems are with the Epson as many posters here and even an Admin seem quite happy and satisfied with their Epson printers.

I don't know what "as it's not reacting well" would actually refer to or mean.

Maybe provide some details of your problems that some could probably certainly resolve — if you want.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
We have three HP Officejets 8600 (newer model is the 8710) at work and they do an excellent job. They scan, copy, and double sided print. They are also wireless and have separate ink tanks. They are also well under $150.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CJNMRG0/?tag=macforums0e4-20

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
K
Reaction score
compatible printer for MBP

I can send something to the printer (often from a webpage, but also it could be my own Word document, or an e-mail in Mail) and I wait... and wait... get the message Printer not responding. I can then close my MBP, go away for a few hours, and then hear my printer printing it out four hours later! Or it'll print 3/4 of the page, out of the blue.
My previous Workforce wasn't quite as bad, it was just stubborn in not wanting to print! I'd sometimes have to log out of my Mac, log back in, then start the printing process again. These are just a few of the probs with my two Epsons...
I like your PIXMA suggestion... Thanks! I'll look into it.
BTW, has anyone got a Brother color inkjet they are really happy with?

Thanks for everyone's suggestions so far. :eek:)

It would be interesting to know what your problems are with the Epson as many posters here and even an Admin seem quite happy and satisfied with their Epson printers.

I don't know what "as it's not reacting well" would actually refer to or mean.

Maybe provide some details of your problems that some could probably certainly resolve — if you want.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I like your PIXMA suggestion... Thanks! I'll look into it.

BTW and FWIW: We also use aftermarket ink with it without any problems.

$30.00±cdn for 2 x the normal 5 XL inkjet replacement cartridge set from an almost local outlet in Vancouver BC and cheap shipping.

No chip resetting etc. needed and no problems with colors etc. A single XL Canon 5 cartridge set from our local Canadian COSTCO sells for about $80.00+cdn.

Fast printing for us, but it does seem to want to do a lot of "cleaning" but not too excessive like some, and an occasional quirk sayg it's "out of paper" when there's lots in the tray. Click the OK button and fixes everything, but it does bug us the few times it happens. Otherwise, all is good.

PS: Don't turn off that model printer!!! It'll want to do a clean cartridge cycle every time its turned On.

And it should cost well under the $100.00cdn (maybe 70 - 80) mark on sale which it often is up here.

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I go along with Lisa's choice of the HP OfficeJet. After HP was admonished by the FTC for disabling their printers when aftermarket ink was used, they now allow refillable and other than HP ink to be used. I've also had very good results with my Epson (which I received for free from Apple during a promotion thing). But I have to disagree with Patrick about the Canon. As you can see, choosing a printer can be very personal. Just buy whatever works best for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I go along with Lisa's choice of the HP OfficeJet. …

OK, but I'll just add that it was an older HP OfficeJet AIO we had that just up and died on us last year. But no big deal as it was given to us as it wasn't compatible for a lady's new Mac she bought, gobbled ink like it just got off the desert, and we had to use a small utility to use a sort of wireless printing.

But there are so many user variables, I'd suggest doing a web search on a suitable Mac OS compatible printer or multifunction AIO.
Maybe try something like this:
https://www.google.ca/search?client...&oe=UTF-8&gfe_rd=cr&ei=ahwVWN_MJ9PM8gezl4CgAQ

And BTW chscag, you must have had some pretty bad Canon printer experiences to be so anti-Canon printer user. Odd as they seem to get some good reviews as do some of the others. :eek:

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not just me Patrick, but I'm not going to rehash my bad experiences with Canon again. As I stated above, choosing a printer can be personal. What was a good experience for you might not be for someone else. Just start a conversation sometime about which automobile is best. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not just me Patrick,

I'm not disagreeing with you chscag, but I don't recall what the specific problems you encountered were. And I'm sure there are lots out there who have had problems with all the brands out there at one time or another.

But it does seem that you've been on some anti-canon printer roll for some time now. Maybe they improved your concern and problem by now:
http://www.mac-forums.com/os-x-oper...pixma-mp500-and-navigator-wont-mavericks.html

- Patrick
======

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 inch iMac - Ventura. iPhones 8 and MacBook Air - Catalina.
Hi there, I have had Canon all in one printers for years and have not had any problems at all. My latest is the Pixma MG 5751, it has five ink cartridges and works exceedingly well, it will connect wirelessly or wired and will print double sided. I have had other makes but Canon is best as it gives less trouble than most others. If I need a replacement then a Canon would be my choice over all others. I run an Apple Mac Mini late 2012 with OS El Capitan. Should one cartridge run out then that one is all you need to replace, I feel it would continue to print should one cartridge run out of ink but not too sure about the quality of the print produced especially on a photograph print.
Very best regards from Keith in Derby England.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I feel it would continue to print should one cartridge run out of ink but not too sure about the quality of the print produced especially on a photograph print.

Our similar Canon PIXMA MG5620 does this, it continues to print if a cartridge is empty, and also gives a warning messages that the output may not be as expected and probably will result in poor quality and suggests replacing it ASAP.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
After several Epson models I'm using a Canon MG 6650 which gives very good print quality and works with the latest OS. It takes compatible cartridges, prints double sided etc. However, loading the paper accurately can be quite fiddly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
However, loading the paper accurately can be quite fiddly.

Have you checked out the "Loading paper" etc. videos here:
http://www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer_products/videos/pixma_mg6650/

I've found our similar MG5620 to be quite simple loading paper.

Maybe the damp sea air around Tyneside, UK changes things, but not too different from our area close to the ocean and Saanich Inlet etc. ;)

PS: Keep the paper in its wrapper until some of it is needed to load into the printer.

- Patrick
======

Last edited:
M

MacInWin

I use HP for printing. Never had a problem with any of them. I tried one Canon. Won't repeat that mistake. I got it home, put in the cartridges that came with it and printed 2-3 pages to test and all seemed good. The second day, printing page 5 or 6 total, the cartridges ran dry. OK, they must be "demo" cartridges, I think, with a short load of ink. So off to the store I go, get refills to the tune of $60. One week later, the printer quit printing with an "out of ink" message. "Can't be," I think, but off to the store again, get a second set of refills for another $60 and now I can print again. Once again, a week later, "out of ink" again. I cannot afford $240/month for ink to print 40-50 pages each month. Fortunately, I lived relatively near a Canon repair facility, so I take the printer in for them to check. I told them that it seems like the printer "cleans" before every print job, then again about every five pages and again at the end of the print job. Surely that excessive cleaning must be wrong, it's expending more ink in cleaning than printing. Two days later they call to say the printer was fine and that the cleaning process was a "feature" and not a problem. They did say to print larger jobs and the cleaning process will only happen every 10 pages or so, instead of how I saw it happening. After a "brisk" discussion about the stupidity of the design and their (weak) defense of it, I picked up the printer, drove to the dump and threw it in the shredder/compressor to watch it be digested. Went out an bought a replacement HP, never looked back.

So that's why I will never have a Canon printer ever again. From the reports I have seen, they still chew through ink faster than any other brand. Yeah, I know I can get third party ink cheaper than the brand names, but even if the cartridges were 25% of brand, it would still have cost me $15/week to print 10 pages each week. Nope, ain't happening here. Buyer beware.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So that's why I will never have a Canon printer ever again. From the reports I have seen, they still chew through ink faster than any other brand. Yeah, I know I can get third party ink cheaper than the brand names, but even if the cartridges were 25% of brand, it would still have cost me $15/week to print 10 pages each week. Nope, ain't happening here. Buyer beware.

I usually try to avoid everything Canon after a somewhat similar experience with a Canon printer. My problem was print head failure. My HP and Epson are still going strong.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.