• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Putting DVD's on a Hard Drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook
Is there a good way to put non commercial DVD's on a auxiliary hard drive in a fashion that makes it easy play them on a TV?

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Thats a very broad question given we have no idea what device/s or software you are using. So I can only give you a broad answer;
You can play the DVD direct from your computer if its a portable device via cable if you have a HDMI outlet or you can record the contents as a file convert it to AVI format if you have the software and copy it to a USB drive that can be played though some TV's and some DVD players. Or you could use Apple TV or you could just play them on a DVD player.
A little more info please.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Is there a good way to put non commercial DVD's on a auxiliary hard drive in a fashion that makes it easy play them on a TV?
Use Handbrake. It will give you an mp4 video file of the dvd.
https://handbrake.fr

OP
Mr. D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To clarify, is there a way to load DVD's on to a the type aux. hard drive you would use to back up your Mac without paying them allowing them to be selected & played? There must be a common way to do that or they would not be selling so many large H.D's for people to save movies on. I'm just behind the times & have a massive collection of homemade DVD's of movies I've made over the years. I'd like to be able to put some of the DVD's on a H.D. without having to play the DVD to record it on the hard drive. Years ago recording movies became an addiction I fear. I have to find a charity or senior's home to leave them to when my expiration date arrives. I hate to see about 1500 movies go to waste! Some of them will likely never come to Netflix.

I'm aware of using a HDMI cable connected to the Mac.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Handbrake and similar software doesn't require you to play the entire movie to get it onto the hard drive. The software reads the video files from the DVD and saves it in a form that can be played on the computer. I think the last conversion I did with Handbrake converted roughly 90 minutes of movies in about 30 minutes or so.

When I first started using Handbrake I found the interface a bit daunting but it's not as confusing as it appears to be. There are several other pieces of software to choose from if Handbrake drives you nuts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I also use Handbrake to convert movies into files that I can add to either iTunes or iMovie.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Mr.D, as stated Handbrake will do the job you want to do admirably and the default settings seldom need to be altered other than choosing the type of device you wish to replay the movies on. The files will be converted to mp4, a format that is compatible with all Apple devices. This will preserve them in a digital format.
The question is what do you want to be able to replay them on?
The reason I ask is because you have so many and you suggest leaving them to a charity or retirement home.
The vast majority of commercial devices that can replay digital movies will not read a Mac formatted medium. So your external hard drive will need to be formatted as MS-DOS, ExFat or FAT32.
Let me give you an example of what I occasionally do.
My son sent me a link to a movie he had downloaded. The Movie was in MKV format. I wanted to play it on my TV via the USB port on the TV. I had to format a USB thumb drive to ExFat (a windows format) then I used a third party app to convert the file to DivX a codec of AVI format. This plays happily on my Samsung TV.
I had to use a thumb drive because the USB port on a TV is not capable of providing the electrical power needed to run an external USB HDD.
So really the best and most flexible form of stored movie is still a DVD CD because it can be played on many devices but I accept it is not the best long term storage option.
So if you wish to simply archive the information by all means use Handbrake but bear in mind that the data may need to be converted to another format for others (not using a Mac device) to view them. Otherwise others will be limited to watching them on a computer or via a computer using say VLC player.
As for the time required that is a huge job in itself. The time it takes to transfer a movie on a DVD to digital format is dependant on the coding required and can be as much as 50% of the time required to play the file.

OP
Mr. D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanx for the responses! Appreciated!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.