Update confusion

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini (late2014); Model A1347; OS Sierra, version 10.12.6
An update showed up in my Mac-mini that I'm not sure what to do with. I am still running El Capitan and the update is for Safari. The update is a software update. Safari 10.0.1 security u/d 2016-002 10.11.6 Since I have not upgraded too Safari yet, what do I do with this update?
Thanks for any info.
Bill

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Safari is Apple's native browser, not the operating system, the latest of which is OS Sierra 10.12.1. So you can update Safari and stay with El Capitan.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
lThanks badshoehabit for the info.. Guess I need to start reading a little closer.

Reaction score
Safari is Apple's native browser, not the operating system, the latest of which is OS Sierra 10.12.1. So you can update Safari and stay with El Capitan.

Usually we are only offered minor updates to Safari. You only get major upgrades to Safari along with an upgrade to a major new version of the MacOS.

So it's not surprising that you are confused. This is a major upgrade being offered without the need to upgrade your OS version.

Safari 10 is a really worthwhile upgrade. It blocks scareware/ransomware (i.e. it keeps malicious Javascript from being able to trap you on a Web page), it uses HTML 5 by default instead of Adobe's Flash (the later being a frequent vector for malware), and it includes several other important security measures. This increased security is so important that it is probably why Apple decided to make Safari 10 backwards compatible with El Capitan and Mavericks.

http://tidbits.com/article/16783

On caveat. If you update to Safari 10, or you get it by upgrading to MacOS 10.12 (Sierra), you may find, to your dismay, that a number of Web sites don't seem to work. The reason is that Safari 10 disables Flash by default, and not all Web sites offer an HTML 5 alternative yet. This is easy to deal with once you know how.

http://apple-support.applehelp.support/safari-10-flash-is-disabled-by-default/

"Like Google and Microsoft Windows, Apple will be de-emphasizing (reduce the importance of) Adobe Flash in its first-party web browser Safari. Safari in Apple Mac OS Sierra has Flash turned off by default. If you want to use flash you have to turn on Flash for each website you visit and grant it authorization to work just once or every time you visit.

"Most websites that detect that Flash isn’t available, but don’t have an HTML5 fallback, display a ‘Flash isn’t installed’ message with a link to download Flash from Adobe. If a user clicks on one of those links, Safari will inform them that the plug-in is already installed and offer to activate it just one time or every time the website is visited."

Hopefully this will save you from some aggravation.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Randy for all this excellent info! I have installed the Safari update and everything seems to be working as it should. I tried all my favorite web-sites and they all seem fine. One again thanks for the info. If any problems come up I'll refer back to your post for help.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, after having the update for several days it seems that The Weather Channel and Underground Weather do not work as before. The animate portion doesn't work. Is this caused by the update?
Bill

M

MacInWin

It's probably Adobe Flash. I think Safari defaults to blocking flash. If you want it back, to to Adobe and download the installer. Flash still works in Safari, but you have to enable it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Current version is 23.0.0.205 and make sure you select the 'Advise Me' on updates.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
After the Safari 10.0.1 update and verifying that Adobe flash player 23.0.0.205 is installed and working I can't get The Weather Channel to come up in Safari. When I click the link the progress bar goes a little less than 1/4 of the way to the right and stops. This may not have anything to do with with Safari update but did not do this before u/d was installed. Any ideas or suggestions.? Animated radar now works on another weather site. Almost forgot, The Weather channel works fine on Firefox.
bill

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
Can you post the link you are trying to access?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I decided to do a restart. Now everything is working like it should.
bill

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.