• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Leopard to run windows apps native?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core Duo 17" A Little Piece Of Heaven
That would be be pretty neat, two worlds in one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
The idea of them offering Windows API support is interesting, but highly unlikely. It would do away with the need for virtualization in a self contained program since it would be done within the OS itself. How would that impact the GUI on specific Apps though? Would they still look like Windows Apps or would they follow the Aqua interface? Tis also opens up some questions about security.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)
Wow, what an awesome thing if it actually happened. Then you would truly have the best of both worlds. This would also give Apple more ammunition on why you should totally switch to OS X and not use both OS's.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
You mean Leopard.

It is very unlikely that Vista (Aka Longhorn) will run existing Windows apps natively, at least not those made by anyone other than MS or those more than 2 years old. ;)

Amen-Moses

OP
iWonder
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
sorry.. i guess they were so closely named and i was reading that flame thread.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
That would be cool because then I would have to have a PC sitting around just so I can play video games. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
Its nothing new Linux has been doing this for ages via apps like WINE it just makes life easier for people who need to use just one app rather than a whole OS

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
I would like to see a Fast User Switching (FUS) setup like XP has, but for OS X and XP.

Does anyone know if you can move files between Parallel's XP installation and OS X? FUS would be kind of useless if that were the case...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
inflexion said:
Its nothing new Linux has been doing this for ages via apps like WINE it just makes life easier for people who need to use just one app rather than a whole OS

In the early 90's I had a DEC Alpha workstation which ran NT 3.5, VMS & Unix concurrently, i.e I could switch between 3 different operating systems with the press of a button.

In mid 80's I had a home computer that could do a similar trick, albeit a heck of a lot slower, by running a cut down unix, it's own OS and MSDos concurrently.

These are old tricks indeed. ;)

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
Hey thats not fair with all that expensive kit to use so long ago ;)

Reaction score
WINE is an Emulator (please no jokes about the acronym saying Wine Is Not an Emulator) - and we're talking an active native API that will just be able to take the binary code from a win32 app and process it. It will require a bit more calculation if you want the whole thing to run through Aqua or X11, but at todays processor speeds that won't be a problem .

My question is: MS gives out the info on how to make an App, I'm no huge techie, but is Apple (or anyone else, for that matter) capable of creating a runtime environment for windows apps at all?

L

Left Face Down

It would be wonderful, but I doubt they could do such to the extent that it would run games (for example) at 100%. Until that day I'll always have a Windows machine, or if some how every game comes out at the same exact time for both platforms.

I can go with out everything else, there are easy if not better Mac alternatives. However I know certain programs businesses use that don't run on Mac. I wonder if we would see more businesses switching over to Mac if this is true...

J

John_S

I doubt this also very much. It would be very cool though. I need some Windows programs every day and I have to use Virtual PC atm. I'm saving for Intel iMac, then I can get Parallels software \o/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'11 Macbook Pro i5 2.3 GHZ, 4GB, 10.10.4
That would be awesome. Then there would be no need for me to keep my PC. I could just get rid of it and have one system I could carry around. Not to mention, Windows has more games. :D

Reaction score
Amen-Moses said:
You mean Leopard.

It is very unlikely that Vista (Aka Longhorn) will run existing Windows apps natively, at least not those made by anyone other than MS or those more than 2 years old. ;)

Amen-Moses
Where did you hear that? Windows XP can practically any program made for windows, no matter when it was made. Why would Vista be any different?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
SilverEagle5 said:
Where did you hear that? Windows XP can practically any program made for windows, no matter when it was made. Why would Vista be any different?

Personal experience mainly, I've got a huge box full of useless software titles. One of my favourites is a PC/MAC title (according to the box at least) and it works fine on my Twin G5 PowerMac under Tiger yet XP doesn't even recognise that there is anything on the CD!

I know I could jump through hoops and try out all the different combination of "compatibility" settings and there are even a few public domain "emulators" which supposedly make old apps work under XP but I just don' have the time and energy to do all that when all I need the application for is to read an old file I've discovered.

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo
macs security level could be breached....might start proning MAC to more virus' unless we can keep the partitions separate that something would leak over.....

Just a thought

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
maz94protege said:
macs security level could be breached....might start proning MAC to more virus' unless we can keep the partitions separate that something would leak over.....

Any app running in a Windoze environment will be oblivious to the existance of the OS X environment so no matter how infected with virii the Windoze environment becomes you will still be able to fix things from the OS X end.

This is similar to how I used to run things before I switched to OS X, I used to have Linux installed on all my PCs on a separate partition and regularly copy my Windoze partition onto a unix partition, then if I got hit by a virus (or Windoze just failed to boot) all I had to do was boot into Linux and copy the partition back again, Windoze was completely unaware that Linux even existed so no virus could affect my ability to rescue the situation.

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)
Mac OSX becoming infected in this scenario is like me catching HIV from shaking an infected person's hand.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.