Sierra and Adobe Flash

Reaction score
Yeah, okay, I jumped the gun and loaded Sierra onto my oldish MacBookPro, and now, among other things, I can't install Flash, which means some important websites are inaccessible, some video won't play, and my e-cards cannot be viewed. ***? I've gone through the Flash installation process three times and it just plain disappears somewhere and the Flash things are inoperable. Do I have to uninstall Sierra and go back to Yosemite to have Flash again?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Does Flash appear in the System Preferences?

If so click on it and run 'Check Now'. Current version for masOS Sierra is 23.0.0.185. Do not try and download from anywhere else. You didn't jump the gun. Have used Sierra as a Beta Tester and it has been rock solid and great subject to your MBP having sufficient memory installed..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
In my opinion, if a website is still using Flash, you should not be using that website.

Usually, when you download Flash from Adobe, it downloads a download/installer app. After it finishes the install it does not show up in your Applications folder, as Harry said above, it shows in System Preferences.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If you are using Safari check the following settings:
1. Open Safari Preferences and go to the Security tab.
2. Make sure Allow Plugins is checked the click the Plug in Settings bubble
3. In the sheet that appears any plugins you have installed will appear. Make sure the box next to Adobe Flash is checked. I don't remember for sure if it is off by default in Sierra.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't remember for sure if it is off by default in Sierra.

As I pointed out to another member just several days ago, Flash is off by default in the latest version of Safari for Sierra. (I believe it was also off by default in El Capitan.) As long as you have the Plug in checked as pointed out by our moderator "Slydude", it will be used if called for. Flash is active in Chrome by default (if you use that browser).

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was having a problem with several YouTube videos recently and couldn't figure out what was happening. Ended up resorting to Chrome until I read those directions somewhere and checked my settings.

I've never been a huge consumer of YouTube videos so it always surprises me when I run into this problem. I'm becoming less enamored of YouTube now that so many videos contain ads that have nothing to do with the video you want to see. In some cases the ad is longer than the actual video.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm becoming less enamored of YouTube now that so many videos contain ads that have nothing to do with the video you want to see. In some cases the ad is longer than the actual video.

That makes two of us. However, my wife loves YouTube and sits her iPhone 6s+ up near her desk in landscape mode playing musicals and testimonials. Some stuff on YouTube is worthwhile but the greater majority it seems is for the younger crowd. (Which I have left long ago... LOL.)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Yes some of the YouTube "ads" aren't ads anymore when they're like 5 minutes long...and you can't skip them after the first 15 seconds (like some ads).

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP i7 mid 2012 macOS 10.12
YouTube became more useful when it allowed longer videos. If I have to put up with a bit of advertising to get things like https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1uE-8LlQhNE I won't have many complaints. I'll even give Flash some HDD space if I have to.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'd agree if that's what happened but I watched a video last night where the ad might have been longer than the video I wanted to see.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Was an exceedingly importa tissue with no sign of the OP to respond?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.