• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Using iMovie to create film and "start up disk full"! - how to get more storage?

Reaction score
Hi,

I am using a Macbook Pro with iMovie to create an indie film/documentary. It's now 30 minutes long and due to the High-res footage I now keep getting the message "Stat up disk full" and I cannot proceed. I have gone through my mac and deleted as much as possible but I obviously cannot delete any of the images and clips I'm using in the film from the Macs hard drive as they will then be deleted from iMovie too.

I need to purchase some additional storage, what is the best way to do this?

Appreciate any help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
You can either go to a local store and buy the external drive to fit your needs, or, you can go online and order the external drive that fits your needs? What am I missing? You also need to make sure you have a separate external drive to keep a backup of your internal disk drive. If you want, you can provide more information about your setup, like MBP model year and Mac OS X version?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
A warm welcome to Mac-Forums.

You are in a tricky situation because you say that you have retrieved as much data as you can - and still your Hard Disk Drive (HDD) is full.

This means that your Operating System (OS) is going to struggle to boot the Mac and just keep things turning over; never mind dealing with the complexities of Movie editing.

Hindsight is always 20/20 of course, and as you had so little space on your HDD to play with, it would have been much better investing in extra storage before you began.

But dealing with the present; as Bob stated above, you need to acquire an External Hard Drive (EHD) as a matter of urgency. This should be at least as large as your HDD in terms of storage, if not larger.

Then you need to migrate the iMovie Indie Files to the EHD and edit them from there or, if that is not feasible, move a large chunk of data from the HDD to the EHD (e.g. your iTunes Library, iPhoto or Photos Library).

To give you a guide as we do not know the storage capacity of your HDD - there should be around 25% of unused or free storage on your HDD for the Mac to function properly. So, if your HDD has a capacity of 500GB for instance, you should have 125GB free/unused.

Please post back, preferably with your Mac's specs in detail. We are here to help and given your situation, you need to act quickly.

Ian

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I would suggest that any external HD you buy should be at least twice the size of your internal HD. You will always grow to fill it.
I would also be inclined to buy a dedicated EHD to backup your internal HD before you begin moving files around.
So dependant on the storage of your Macintosh HD, say it's 250Gb you could feasibly use a single 1Tb EHD. That could be partitioned into two equal halves, one for backup of your internal HD and the other for excess data.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac Forums

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.