Microsoft/MAC OS Compatibility

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac.
I just bought a Microsoft Wireless Comfort Desktop 5050 (keyboard and mouse) for my Windows PC and was today given an IMac. I plan to install the Sierra OS on the Mac and want to know whether I can use the Microsoft devices with the Mac, or whether I should return them unopened.

All constructive responses greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP i7 mid 2012 macOS 10.12
I'd return them and use the Apple keyboard and a trackpad. MS keyboards will work but you'll have to figure out your modifier keys.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac.
Thank you, Kevin. Seems like sound advice, although I really like the ergonomic keyboard since I'm a poor typist and it takes me twice as long on a conventional keyboard.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I use only ergonomic keyboards with Windows - for maybe the past 15 years and a good mouse - 8-12 hours a day at the office and the lone surviving Win desktop here at home.

I use Apple or Apple style Keyboards and a trackpad with all my Macs.

If the iMac is now your sole computer, I'd advise the same as Kevin.
If I could get an ergonomic keyboard designed for Macs, I "might" would switch to one.

If you're going to be using both computers, I'd keep the new one for the Win machine and get an Apple keyboard and trackpad for the iMac.

The other question I'd be asking is whether or not you plan on playing games on the iMac best suited for a mouse - you might want to keep a mouse around for that.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
This is from the specs of that keyboard/mouse.

Supported Operating Systems:

Microsoft Windows 10 / 8 / 7 Mac OS X v10.4 – 10.10 Advanced functionality not available with all devices. See compatibility information at: microsoft.com/hardware/compatibility

So Macs are supported just in case you do keep it.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac.
MAC/Microsoft compatibility

I will be using only one computer and I don't do gaming at all. I haven't yet found an ergonomic Mac keyboard, but if I do, that's what I'll opt for. Thanks for your help.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac.
Thanks for your help, Dennis. I'd like to upgrade beyond OS 10.x so I'll probably opt for a native keyboard.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Thanks for your help, Dennis. I'd like to upgrade beyond OS 10.x so I'll probably opt for a native keyboard.

Microsoft is slow to update info like that. I am sure if it works with 10.10 it will work with 10.12. I would try it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.